US Tobacco Companies Challenge California Flavored Tobacco Ban

Nov.30.2022
US Tobacco Companies Challenge California Flavored Tobacco Ban
Tobacco companies challenge California's ban on flavored tobacco products in the US Supreme Court.

On November 29th, tobacco company R.J. Reynolds, also known as Reynold Tobacco Holdings, joined other tobacco companies in a joint request to the United States Supreme Court. They requested an emergency order to block California's ban on flavored tobacco products.


Two years ago, the ban was initially passed by the state legislature, but it never went into effect after tobacco companies collected a significant number of "no" votes. However, nearly two-thirds of voters approved the prohibition of selling electronic cigarette products, and the law will take effect on December 21st.


Supporters of the ban state that this law is necessary to curb the increasing number of young people who smoke.


A study has found that one in six high school students in the United States use e-cigarettes or tobacco products.


Renault filed a federal lawsuit and raised objections to it, but the US 9th Circuit Court of Appeals rejected Renault's emergency motion.


Tobacco giants argue that the authority to ban flavors belongs to federal law. The Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act grants the Food and Drug Administration the power to regulate tobacco. These companies are represented by Noel Francisco, who previously served as the top lawyer for the Trump administration at the Supreme Court.


California will become the second state in the United States to implement a ban on the sale of all flavored tobacco products, following in the footsteps of Massachusetts. Several cities in California, including Los Angeles and San Diego, have already implemented their own bans, and a few states have prohibited the sale of flavored electronic cigarette products.


2FIRSTS will continue to provide ongoing coverage of this issue, with updates available on the 2FIRSTS app. Scan the QR code below to download the app.


This document has been generated through artificial intelligence translation and is provided solely for the purposes of industry discourse and learning. Please note that the intellectual property rights of the content belong to the original media source or author. Owing to certain limitations in the translation process, there may be discrepancies between the translated text and the original content. We recommend referring to the original source for complete accuracy. In case of any inaccuracies, we invite you to reach out to us with corrections. If you believe any content has infringed upon your rights, please contact us immediately for its removal.

LOST MARY Launches VIZ With Transparent Wraparound Pod and LED Display
LOST MARY Launches VIZ With Transparent Wraparound Pod and LED Display
LOST MARY announced VIZ on May 6, 2026, describing it as the brand’s first product with a transparent 360-degree wraparound pod.
May.07 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Exhibition Insights | Beyond Devices: What RELX’s Multi-Format Display Suggests About Category Expansion
Exhibition Insights | Beyond Devices: What RELX’s Multi-Format Display Suggests About Category Expansion
RELX’s booth in Prague brought together vaping devices, RELX-branded e-liquids, oral nicotine products and a nasal product concept in one display. Rather than centering the booth on a single hardware line, the company presented multiple product paths side by side.
Apr.20 by 2FIRSTS.ai
U.S. Senator Durbin Criticizes FDA’s First Flavored Vape Authorization, Says Trump Administration Conceded to Big Tobacco
U.S. Senator Durbin Criticizes FDA’s First Flavored Vape Authorization, Says Trump Administration Conceded to Big Tobacco
U.S. Senator Dick Durbin on May 13 criticized the Trump Administration’s Food and Drug Administration for approving the sale and marketing of fruit-flavored e-cigarettes for the first time, while also allowing some illegal vaping products to remain on the market. He also linked the regulatory shift to the departure of FDA Commissioner Marty Makary, saying White House pressure on regulators to approve tobacco product applications could create serious public-health consequences.
Regulations
May.15
UK Retailers Call on Government to Better Resource Trading Standards to Fight Illicit Tobacco and Vape Trade
UK Retailers Call on Government to Better Resource Trading Standards to Fight Illicit Tobacco and Vape Trade
Retailers in the UK have called on the government to provide greater resources to Trading Standards in response to the growing trade in illicit tobacco and vapes. Fed national vice-president Hemanshu Patel made the call during a panel discussion at the National Convenience Show in Birmingham on April 15.
Apr.21 by 2FIRSTS.ai
FDA Commissioner Marty Makary Resigns After Opposing Trump Administration’s Flavored Vape Push
FDA Commissioner Marty Makary Resigns After Opposing Trump Administration’s Flavored Vape Push
FDA Commissioner Marty Makary resigned on May 12 after opposing the Trump administration’s push to authorize fruit-flavored vaping products, according to reporting by The New York Times. Makary reportedly objected over concerns that flavored vapes could attract young people and refused to support broader approvals.
News
May.13
South Korea Set to Enforce Liquid Vape Ban in Smoke-Free Areas, but Welfare Ministry Abruptly Adds Two-Month Guidance Period
South Korea Set to Enforce Liquid Vape Ban in Smoke-Free Areas, but Welfare Ministry Abruptly Adds Two-Month Guidance Period
Local governments across South Korea recently issued press releases saying they would intensively crack down on the use of liquid e-cigarettes in smoke-free areas. Since the revised Tobacco Business Act, passed in December last year, included liquid e-cigarettes within the definition of tobacco and took effect on April 24, local authorities had prepared to begin enforcement immediately.
Apr.27 by 2FIRSTS.ai