New Zealand Health Minister Casey Costello Responds to Critics

Regulations by 2FIRSTS.ai
Apr.02.2024
New Zealand Health Minister Casey Costello Responds to Critics
New Zealand Health Ministry responds to criticism from anti-e-cigarette group, vows to crackdown on youth access and sales.

According to the Otago Daily Times, New Zealand's Deputy Health Minister Casey Costello responded to criticism from anti-e-cigarette groups and stated that she is not neglecting efforts to reduce e-cigarette use.

 

Ms. Costello stated:

 

Last week, I announced that we will ban disposable e-cigarettes - the most appealing product to young people. We will significantly increase penalties for selling e-cigarettes to minors, and introduce stricter regulations and enforcement of e-cigarette sales. All of these measures are aimed at reducing youth usage of e-cigarettes and decreasing the supply of e-cigarettes.

 

The founding members of Smokefree Kids New Zealand met with Mrs. Costello on Wednesday after presenting verbal recommendations to the Health Select Committee. The group had submitted a petition with over 12,000 signatures to Parliament in August last year, calling for restrictions on the sale of e-cigarette products to be limited to e-cigarette stores only and for more regulation on e-cigarettes due to concerns of addiction among young people.

 

Last week, a member of the Dunedin organization also highlighted issues encountered with the enforcement of tobacco control measures, stating that banning disposable e-cigarettes is "far from enough."

 

Spokesperson Marnie Wilton stated that, despite several months of attempts, they finally met with Ms. Costello, but they are very dissatisfied with the progress.

 

Wilton said:

 

We can clearly see that she does not want to reduce the supply of e-cigarettes. Her primary goal seems to be making e-cigarettes more easily accessible, rather than protecting our children from nicotine addiction.

 

"Unless the supply of e-cigarettes in the community decreases, nothing will change," she said.

 

We welcome news tips, article submissions, interview requests, or comments on this piece.

Please contact us at info@2firsts.com, or reach out to Alan Zhao, CEO of 2Firsts, on LinkedIn


Notice

1.  This article is intended solely for professional research purposes related to industry, technology, and policy. Any references to brands or products are made purely for objective description and do not constitute any form of endorsement, recommendation, or promotion by 2Firsts.

2.  The use of nicotine-containing products — including, but not limited to, cigarettes, e-cigarettes, nicotine pouchand heated tobacco products — carries significant health risks. Users are responsible for complying with all applicable laws and regulations in their respective jurisdictions.

3.  This article is not intended to serve as the basis for any investment decisions or financial advice. 2Firsts assumes no direct or indirect liability for any inaccuracies or errors in the content.

4.  Access to this article is strictly prohibited for individuals below the legal age in their jurisdiction.

 

Copyright

 

This article is either an original work created by 2Firsts or a reproduction from third-party sources with proper attribution. All copyrights and usage rights belong to 2Firsts or the original content provider. Unauthorized reproduction, distribution, or any other form of unauthorized use by any individual or organization is strictly prohibited. Violators will be held legally accountable.

For copyright-related inquiries, please contact: info@2firsts.com

 

AI Assistance Disclaimer

 

This article may have been enhanced using AI tools to improve translation and editorial efficiency. However, due to technical limitations, inaccuracies may occur. Readers are encouraged to refer to the cited sources for the most accurate information.

We welcome any corrections or feedback. Please contact us at: info@2firsts.com

 $20 Million, a Permanent Injunction and Distributor Controls: Posh Deal Tightens Illinois Vape Compliance
$20 Million, a Permanent Injunction and Distributor Controls: Posh Deal Tightens Illinois Vape Compliance
An Illinois court ordered three companies tied to Posh vapes to pay $20 million and permanently restricted the sale, marketing and distribution in Illinois of products lacking required FDA authorization. The consent order also imposes downstream distributor controls, age-verification measures and social-media marketing limits, creating a new state-level compliance benchmark for disposable vape businesses.
Regulations
Aug.05
Special Report | Russia, Ukraine and Belarus Launch Fresh Push to Rein in Vaping
Special Report | Russia, Ukraine and Belarus Launch Fresh Push to Rein in Vaping
Russia, Ukraine and Belarus are tightening vape regulation through different tools, from Ukraine’s stronger enforcement push and Belarus’s proposed advertising restrictions to Russia’s new GOST standard and regional sales-ban mechanism. As black-market concerns persist, some Russian experts argue that China’s tightly controlled but legalised model — built around licensing, traceability and taxation — may offer a more effective alternative to blanket prohibition.
Jul.15
BAT Regional Director Fred Monteiro Supports Spain’s Nicotine Rules but Opposes 0.99mg Nicotine Pouch Limit
BAT Regional Director Fred Monteiro Supports Spain’s Nicotine Rules but Opposes 0.99mg Nicotine Pouch Limit
Spanish newspaper El Confidencial interviewed Fred Monteiro, Regional Director for Americas and Europe at British American Tobacco (BAT). Monteiro said BAT supports setting regulatory limits for nicotine products but opposes Spain’s proposed 0.99mg nicotine-per-pouch limit, arguing that such a restriction could affect adult smokers’ transition to alternatives. He said nicotine regulation should be based on scientific evidence and harm reduction principles. Monteiro also said smoke-free products now account for around 25% of BAT’s Americas and Europe business and nearly 30% of its Europe business
BAT
Jul.30
Product | PMI Introduces VEEV inPrime, Bringing an Induction Vaporization Platform to the Next Generation of the VEEV Portfolio
Product | PMI Introduces VEEV inPrime, Bringing an Induction Vaporization Platform to the Next Generation of the VEEV Portfolio
Philip Morris International (PMI) has introduced VEEV inPrime, the next-generation closed-system vape platform featuring the new AdvanceVape Induction System™. Alongside the new induction platform, PMI has redesigned the pods, e-liquid formulations and user interaction experience. According to PMI and official IQOS websites, VEEV inPrime began a phased European rollout between May and June 2026, with products now available in Greece, Estonia, the United Kingdom and Italy.
Jul.14
Product | IVG Launches NEXiO Prefilled Pod System, Expanding Beyond Disposable Vapes
Product | IVG Launches NEXiO Prefilled Pod System, Expanding Beyond Disposable Vapes
UK vape brand IVG has launched the NEXiO reusable prefilled pod system, expanding its product portfolio beyond disposable vape products. The device features a 1,000mAh rechargeable battery, prefilled pods with a refill reservoir structure and a claimed capacity of up to 10,000 puffs. Officially launched in the UK on July 9, 2026, NEXiO debuted with 17 flavor options, reflecting IVG’s move into reusable pod formats.
Aug.19
JT’s Ploom Volumes Rise 43.5% as Cigarettes Anchor Its Transition
JT’s Ploom Volumes Rise 43.5% as Cigarettes Anchor Its Transition
JT’s Ploom heated-tobacco volumes rose 43.5% in the first half of 2026, while combustibles still represented about 97% of its tobacco volume and remained the main earnings base. In Japan, reduced-risk products now account for 48.7% of industry shipments, shifting competition from category adoption towards brand share, pricing and consumer retention. JT’s results offer a revealing case of a traditional tobacco company pursuing a prolonged, dual-track transformation.
JTI
Jul.30