New Zealand seeks feedback on reducing youth vaping rates

Jan.12.2023
New Zealand seeks feedback on reducing youth vaping rates
New Zealand seeks feedback to reduce youth vaping, including restrictions on sales location and flavors, and limiting nicotine concentration.

According to an online report from The Times, the New Zealand government is seeking feedback on measures to reduce the number of young people vaping.


According to Ayesha Verrall, the Deputy Director-General of Health in New Zealand, electronic cigarettes are becoming increasingly popular among young people in the country, including those who have never smoked traditional cigarettes.


We hope that smokers who want to quit smoking can use electronic cigarette products. However, the proportion of young people who use electronic cigarettes is too high, so we need to strike a balance," she said.


Proposed measures include placing regional restrictions on all new electronic cigarette retailers, so they are not located near schools and sports fields; limiting flavor names to avoid attracting young people; and limiting disposable e-cigarette products, which are cheaper and more easily accessible than other e-cigarettes.


Additionally, the government aims to decrease the maximum concentration of nicotine salt in disposable products from 50mg/mL to 35mg/mL, and hopes to require electronic cigarette companies to print serial numbers or batch numbers on their products for traceability.


The consultation documents can be obtained on the website of the New Zealand Ministry of Health, with a submission deadline of 5pm on March 15th.


This document has been generated through artificial intelligence translation and is provided solely for the purposes of industry discourse and learning. Please note that the intellectual property rights of the content belong to the original media source or author. Owing to certain limitations in the translation process, there may be discrepancies between the translated text and the original content. We recommend referring to the original source for complete accuracy. In case of any inaccuracies, we invite you to reach out to us with corrections. If you believe any content has infringed upon your rights, please contact us immediately for its removal.

Malaysia moves ahead with vape sales ban plan; PMI urges Japan-style differentiated excise taxes
Malaysia moves ahead with vape sales ban plan; PMI urges Japan-style differentiated excise taxes
Malaysia plans to implement a ban or restrictions on e-cigarettes and vaping products as early as mid-2026 and no later than year-end. The head of Philip Morris Malaysia and Singapore said the government should look to Japan’s approach of regulating and taxing different tobacco and nicotine products differently, warning that an outright ban could push demand into illicit channels.
Feb.02
Arizona e-cigarette shops ordered to pay $460,000 for selling tobacco and nicotine products to minors
Arizona e-cigarette shops ordered to pay $460,000 for selling tobacco and nicotine products to minors
Arizona Attorney General Kris Mayes announced Pro Source Supply LLC, Pro Source Vapes LLC, Pro Source CBD LLC, and owner Timothy Kell must pay $460,000 in restitution tied to a lawsuit filed last year alleging illegal sales of tobacco and nicotine products to underage buyers.
Jan.07 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Multi-agency crackdown targets vape and convenience stores across Wirral, seizing illegal cigarettes and non-compliant pods
Multi-agency crackdown targets vape and convenience stores across Wirral, seizing illegal cigarettes and non-compliant pods
A multi-agency, intelligence-led enforcement operation took place on January 27, 2026, targeting vape and convenience stores across Wirral, including West Kirby, to disrupt the supply of illegal tobacco and vaping products. Six premises were inspected, with approximately 10,500 illegal cigarettes seized along with vape pods that were not in original packaging or did not meet UK regulatory requirements.
Feb.05 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Product | Compatible with 3ml/2ml Pods and Up to 45W Output: RELX Launches a New Open-System E-Cigarette on Its Indonesia Website
Product | Compatible with 3ml/2ml Pods and Up to 45W Output: RELX Launches a New Open-System E-Cigarette on Its Indonesia Website
RELX has launched the open-system RELX Prime Pro on its Indonesia website and has also rolled it out across multiple local e-commerce channels. According to publicly available product pages, the device is rated at up to 45W, features a 1350mAh battery, and is compatible with 3ml and 2ml pod capacities.
Dec.30 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Surrey councillor calls for tougher vape sales controls, seeking the “most restrictive legally supportable” package
Surrey councillor calls for tougher vape sales controls, seeking the “most restrictive legally supportable” package
Surrey Councillor Gordon Hepner presented a notice of motion calling on council to “wage war on vaping” by strengthening controls on the sale of vaping products in the city, citing vaping as a “serious health concern,” especially among youth. Hepner said the motion directs staff to bring back the “most restrictive legally supportable” package from the City’s 2019 bylaw work to materially reduce where and how vape products can be sold, including licensing controls and enforcement.
Feb.10 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Thailand police seize 17,320 disposable vapes valued at over USD 22,330 in Nonthaburi
Thailand police seize 17,320 disposable vapes valued at over USD 22,330 in Nonthaburi
Thai authorities arrested a 31-year-old man in Bang Bua Thong, Nonthaburi, on January 20, 2026, and seized 17,320 disposable e-cigarettes and a pickup truck. The seized goods were valued at more than THB 7 million (about USD 223,349.62).
Jan.21 by 2FIRSTS.ai