Russia Exit Hits BAT Profits

Industry Insight by Tobacco Reporter
Jul.28.2022

BAT took a £957 million ($1.15 billion) impairment charge related to the transfer of its Russian business, lowering its half-year earnings by a quarter.

Russia Exit Hits BAT Profits

The London-based firm, which controlled almost a fourth of the Russian market, said earlier this year that it was in advanced talks with its distributor in the country to sell the business in the wake of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

 

BAT reported a 25 percent drop in profit from operations on a reported basis to £3.68 billion for the six months to June 30 as a result of the charge. The company expects global tobacco industry volume to be down about 3 percent, partly because of the Russia-Ukraine crisis.

 

In a press release announcing the half-year results, BAT emphasized the growth of its New Categories products and the performance of its combustible business, which continues to grow value share enabled by robust pricing.

 

“I am very proud that our continued New Categories growth momentum is driving faster transformation, with revenue growth of 45 percent in the first half of 2022, on top of 51 percent growth in fiscal year 2021,” said BAT CEO Jack Bowles. “I am especially proud that the number of consumers using our noncombustible brands has passed the milestone of 20 million in the first half.”

 

Noncombustible products now represent 14.6 percent of BAT’s revenue.

 

While acknowledging the geopolitical and macroeconomic challenges, Bowles was upbeat about the outlook for BAT.

 

“We are not immune, of course, to the increasing macroeconomic pressures, exacerbated by the conflict in Ukraine,” he said. “However, we are well positioned to navigate the current turbulent environment due to our powerful brands, operational agility and continued strong cash generation.”

 

The content excerpted or reproduced in this article comes from a third-party, and the copyright belongs to the original media and author. If any infringement is found, please contact us to delete it. Any entity or individual wishing to forward the information, please contact the author and refrain from forwarding directly from here.

BAT Malaysia Reports Q3 Results: Net Profit Plummets 89.5%, Stock Price Drops 15%
BAT Malaysia Reports Q3 Results: Net Profit Plummets 89.5%, Stock Price Drops 15%
BAT Malaysia's Q3 results show a sharp 89.5% drop in net profit to RM7 million (approximately $150,000 USD), with revenue also falling to RM300 million (approximately $6.4 million USD). The company attributed the decline to new regulatory requirements, including pictorial health warnings and the retail display ban. Its stock dropped 15.25% to RM4.78 (approximately $1.02 USD).
Oct.31 by 2FIRSTS.ai
UK to Implement e-cigarette Product Tax and Stamp Plan from October 1, 2026
UK to Implement e-cigarette Product Tax and Stamp Plan from October 1, 2026
HMRC announces e-cigarette tax stamp plan to combat illicit trade starting October 1, 2026 alongside VPD policy enforcement.
Nov.27 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Complete Vape Prohibition Takes Effect Across Uzbekistan
Complete Vape Prohibition Takes Effect Across Uzbekistan
Uzbekistan has enacted a nationwide ban on the sale and circulation of e-cigarettes and related vape liquids, following the approval of a new law signed by President Shavkat Mirziyoyev. The legislation introduces criminal liability for violations, with penalties including fines of 300 to 500 basic calculation units (approximately US$10,300–17,200), corrective labor for up to three years, or imprisonment for up to five years.
Nov.28 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Ohio Appeals Court Upholds Dismissal of Lawsuit Against E-Cigarette Retailer, Deepening State-Federal Regulatory Dispute
Ohio Appeals Court Upholds Dismissal of Lawsuit Against E-Cigarette Retailer, Deepening State-Federal Regulatory Dispute
Ohio Appeals Court Rejects State Attorney General's Lawsuit Against E-Cigarette Retailer, Emphasizing FDA Regulatory Authority.
Oct.15 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Philippine DOH Calls for Nationwide Vape Ban Amid Surging Youth Use
Philippine DOH Calls for Nationwide Vape Ban Amid Surging Youth Use
The Philippine Department of Health (DOH) has warned that youth vaping has reached alarming levels. Health Secretary Ted Herbosa stressed that despite regulations limiting vaping to adults aged 18 and above, minors—many in school uniforms—are frequently seen using vape devices. Criticizing the industry’s youth-targeted marketing tactics, Herbosa said the government should consider a nationwide total ban on vape products.
Nov.24 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Uruguay Weighs Ban on Nicotine Pouches as Health Ministry Warns of Growing Use
Uruguay Weighs Ban on Nicotine Pouches as Health Ministry Warns of Growing Use
Nicotine pouches, promoted as flavored, smoke-free alternatives, are spreading in Uruguay despite the absence of a formal market. The Ministry of Public Health is considering banning them by decree and has raised the issue within Mercosur and at COP11. Health Minister Cristina Lustemberg warns that the industry is pushing new nicotine products to normalize consumption among youth.
Nov.20 by 2FIRSTS.ai