UK Trading Standards: Over 1 Million Illegal Vapes Seized in One Year, a 59% Increase

Nov.26.2024
UK Trading Standards: Over 1 Million Illegal Vapes Seized in One Year, a 59% Increase
The UK's National Trading Standards reported that over 1 million illegal vapes were seized in the 2023-24 fiscal year, marking a 59% year-on-year increase. The majority of these products contained excessive nicotine levels and did not meet safety standards.

According to a report from Shropshirestar on November 26th, the UK's National Trading Standards (NTS) report for 2023-24 revealed that over one million illegal e-cigarettes were seized in the country during that year, an increase of 59% from the previous year. Authorities noted that these products did not meet the basic safety standards in the UK, with most of them containing excessively high levels of nicotine.

 

The report reveals that authorities confiscated a total of 1.19 million illegal e-cigarettes through the government-funded "Joseph Action" project, which aims to strengthen enforcement and compliance checks on e-cigarette sales. Between January and March 2024, authorities conducted 775 physical test purchases, of which 24% involved minors successfully purchasing illegal e-cigarettes.

 

The data was released on Tuesday (26th) as MPs prepared to vote on the Tobacco and E-cigarette Act. Health Minister Andrew Gwynne stated that the NTS report shows "just how many illegal and harmful vapes are on our streets, putting consumers and children at risk.".

 

"To further crack down on illicit trade of tobacco products and vapes, we are investing an extra £10 million to keep these harmful products out of the hands of kids," he said. "The Tobacco and Vapes Bill will strengthen enforcement activity, allowing trading standards to take swifter action to enforce the law, including on non-compliant products, and closing loopholes."

 

"The protection of communities, public health and the safeguarding of honest businesses who are struggling to compete with the flood of illegal products lies at the heart of what trading standards does," said NTS chairman Lord Bichard.

 

"Trading standards has seized nearly 1.2 million illegal vapes and more than £26 million worth of illicit tobacco so far," he said.

 

We welcome news tips, article submissions, interview requests, or comments on this piece.

Please contact us at info@2firsts.com, or reach out to Alan Zhao, CEO of 2Firsts, on LinkedIn


Notice

1.  This article is intended solely for professional research purposes related to industry, technology, and policy. Any references to brands or products are made purely for objective description and do not constitute any form of endorsement, recommendation, or promotion by 2Firsts.

2.  The use of nicotine-containing products — including, but not limited to, cigarettes, e-cigarettes, nicotine pouchand heated tobacco products — carries significant health risks. Users are responsible for complying with all applicable laws and regulations in their respective jurisdictions.

3.  This article is not intended to serve as the basis for any investment decisions or financial advice. 2Firsts assumes no direct or indirect liability for any inaccuracies or errors in the content.

4.  Access to this article is strictly prohibited for individuals below the legal age in their jurisdiction.

 

Copyright

 

This article is either an original work created by 2Firsts or a reproduction from third-party sources with proper attribution. All copyrights and usage rights belong to 2Firsts or the original content provider. Unauthorized reproduction, distribution, or any other form of unauthorized use by any individual or organization is strictly prohibited. Violators will be held legally accountable.

For copyright-related inquiries, please contact: info@2firsts.com

 

AI Assistance Disclaimer

 

This article may have been enhanced using AI tools to improve translation and editorial efficiency. However, due to technical limitations, inaccuracies may occur. Readers are encouraged to refer to the cited sources for the most accurate information.

We welcome any corrections or feedback. Please contact us at: info@2firsts.com

NASCAR adds nicotine pouch sponsor Grizzly as official partner; zone renews RCR deal for 2026
NASCAR adds nicotine pouch sponsor Grizzly as official partner; zone renews RCR deal for 2026
NASCAR Holdings has struck a partnership with Grizzly, a nicotine pouch brand under Reynolds American, making it an official sponsor across NASCAR and its track portfolio, with financial terms undisclosed. Separately, zone, a nicotine pouch brand owned by Imperial Brands’ U.S. subsidiary ITG Brands, renewed its relationship with Richard Childress Racing (RCR) and will continue sponsoring Kyle Busch’s No. 8 car during the 2026 season.
Jan.26
Juul Labs UK launches JUUL2 Peach flavour aimed at adult smokers
Juul Labs UK launches JUUL2 Peach flavour aimed at adult smokers
Juul Labs UK announced on January 1, 2026 the launch of a new JUUL2 Peach flavour, described as an adult-oriented addition that expands the JUUL2 flavour portfolio. The company said the flavour will roll out across the UK from January 1 through major retailers, wholesalers and convenience stores, offering adult smokers alternatives to transition away from cigarettes.
Jan.04 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Make Your Brand Understood by the People Who Matter
Make Your Brand Understood by the People Who Matter
Feb.02
Russia’s Duma Deputy Speaker Davankov calls for a total vape ban, citing drug sales disguised as vapes
Russia’s Duma Deputy Speaker Davankov calls for a total vape ban, citing drug sales disguised as vapes
Vladislav Davankov, deputy speaker of Russia’s State Duma, urged a nationwide ban on vapes, arguing it would help prevent drugs being sold under the cover of vaping products, including near schools. The remarks come as Russia prepares to enforce a separate ban on vape sales at public transport stops starting Sept. 1, 2026.
Feb.09 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Malaysia’s MOH aims to implement a vape ban in 2026, starting with open pod systems
Malaysia’s MOH aims to implement a vape ban in 2026, starting with open pod systems
Bernama (Malaysia’s national news agency) reported that Health Minister Datuk Seri Dr Dzulkefly Ahmad said the Ministry of Health aims to implement a vape ban this year, beginning with open pod systems, and will not compromise on enforcing the Control of Smoking Products for Public Health Act 2024 (Act 852).
Jan.06 by 2FIRSTS.ai
UK vape firm Plxsur sold for £76,500 after touting $1 billion revenue target
UK vape firm Plxsur sold for £76,500 after touting $1 billion revenue target
London-based vaping company Plxsur, which had claimed in fundraising materials it could reach $1 billion in annual revenue and capture about 10% of the global vaping market, has been sold out of administration for £76,500. Administrators said the figures were aspirational and depended on acquisitions that were never completed, as the company later ran out of cash and entered insolvency, with a shareholder ultimately buying the business.
Jan.22 by 2FIRSTS.ai