Elliott Management Corp. Increases Stake in Swedish Match

Nov.01.2022
Elliott Management Corp. Increases Stake in Swedish Match
Elliott Management increases stake in Swedish Match prior to deadline on decision to accept Philip Morris' acquisition offer.

On October 28th, well-known investment firm Elliott Management Corp. announced its decision to increase its stake in Sweden's Match Group to over 10%. This move came just a week before the November 4th deadline for shareholders to decide whether or not to accept Philip Morris International's (PMI) acquisition offer for the Swedish company.


In May of this year, PMI offered approximately $16 billion to acquire Swedish Match. The board of directors at Swedish Match recommended that shareholders accept the offer, but some investors, including Elliott Management Corp., opposed it, stating that the offer undervalued their company.


Earlier this month, PMI increased its offer from SEK 106 per share in May to SEK 116 per share ($10.34). The board of Swedish Match recommended that shareholders accept PMI's revised offer.


According to Swedish law, PMI requires approval from 90% of its shareholders to gain full control of the company. Elliot has increased its ownership stake from 7.25% to 10.5%, meaning that if they refuse the proposal, the transaction will not be able to go through. PMI has stated that they will not increase the revised offer price any further when announcing the increased bid.


PMI has the option to lower acceptance thresholds and gain a majority stake to prevent a failed acquisition. Prior to Elliott disclosing higher ownership, CEO of Swedish Match, Lars Dahlgren, told Reuters that he believes the company can develop independently or in partnership with Philip Morris.


I believe that as an independent company, we have exciting prospects, but I see exciting opportunities for potential mergers," he said.


Statement:


This article is compiled from third-party information and is intended for industry exchange and learning.


This article does not represent the views of 2FIRSTS, and 2FIRSTS is unable to confirm the authenticity or accuracy of the article's content. The translation of this article is only intended for industry communication and research purposes.


Due to limitations in translation skills, the translated article may not fully convey the intended meaning of the original. Please refer to the original article for accuracy.


2FIRSTS maintains complete alignment with the Chinese government on any domestic, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, and foreign-related statements and positions.


The copyright of the compiled information belongs to the original media and author. If there is any infringement, please contact for deletion.


This document has been generated through artificial intelligence translation and is provided solely for the purposes of industry discourse and learning. Please note that the intellectual property rights of the content belong to the original media source or author. Owing to certain limitations in the translation process, there may be discrepancies between the translated text and the original content. We recommend referring to the original source for complete accuracy. In case of any inaccuracies, we invite you to reach out to us with corrections. If you believe any content has infringed upon your rights, please contact us immediately for its removal.

Multi-agency crackdown targets vape and convenience stores across Wirral, seizing illegal cigarettes and non-compliant pods
Multi-agency crackdown targets vape and convenience stores across Wirral, seizing illegal cigarettes and non-compliant pods
A multi-agency, intelligence-led enforcement operation took place on January 27, 2026, targeting vape and convenience stores across Wirral, including West Kirby, to disrupt the supply of illegal tobacco and vaping products. Six premises were inspected, with approximately 10,500 illegal cigarettes seized along with vape pods that were not in original packaging or did not meet UK regulatory requirements.
Feb.05 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Arizona Moves to Tighten Vape Supply-Chain Enforcement, Targeting Illicit Products
Arizona Moves to Tighten Vape Supply-Chain Enforcement, Targeting Illicit Products
Arizona state Sen. Shawnna Bolick introduced SB 1397 to curb illicit vapes by tracing product origins, intercepting illegal shipments, and cracking down on retailers that violate state law. The proposal would require manufacturers to hold a state license to sell in Arizona, with fines up to $10,000 for unlicensed sales.
Jan.30 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Philip Morris Japan adds “Electric Purple” to IQOS ILUMA i range, expands to convenience stores from Feb. 3
Philip Morris Japan adds “Electric Purple” to IQOS ILUMA i range, expands to convenience stores from Feb. 3
Philip Morris Japan (PMJ) said on Jan. 29 it has introduced “Electric Purple” as a new standard color option for its IQOS ILUMA i heated tobacco device lineup, covering three models with prices unchanged. The new color will be available from Jan. 29 via the company’s official online and store channels, with sales expanding to convenience stores and some tobacco retailers from Feb. 3.
Jan.29 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Exclusive | EU Confirms End of Tobacco Policy Expert Group, Explores New Cooperation Structures as TPD Revision Continues
Exclusive | EU Confirms End of Tobacco Policy Expert Group, Explores New Cooperation Structures as TPD Revision Continues
2Firsts reporting shows that, as the European Union moves toward a future evaluation of its tobacco legislation, the Tobacco Policy Expert Group—long a key platform for coordination among Member States—formally concluded its mandate at the end of 2025. At the same time, the European Commission is exploring new cooperation structures to address the resulting institutional gap.
Jan.22
China’s E-Cigarette Exports Fall Slightly to USD 10.6 Billion in 2025, U.S. Market Further Consolidates Lead
China’s E-Cigarette Exports Fall Slightly to USD 10.6 Billion in 2025, U.S. Market Further Consolidates Lead
China’s e-cigarette exports totaled approximately USD 10.60 billion in 2025, down 3.3% year-on-year from USD 10.96 billion in 2024, according to annual trade data released by the General Administration of Customs of China. Despite the mild decline, exports remained firmly above the USD 10 billion mark, with a clear rebound in the fourth quarter.
Jan.20 by 2FIRSTS.ai
German Environment Minister Backs Ban on Disposable E-Cigarettes, Citing Safety Risks
German Environment Minister Backs Ban on Disposable E-Cigarettes, Citing Safety Risks
Germany’s Environment Minister Carsten Schneider has expressed clear support for banning disposable e-cigarettes, citing safety hazards, environmental damage, and waste management risks. While the ban has not yet been finalized, Germany’s parliament has instructed the government to examine the proposal. Several European countries, including Belgium, France, and the UK, have already implemented similar bans.
Dec.30 by 2FIRSTS.ai