Hawaii Cancer Researcher Receives $2.8M to Prevent E-Cigarette Use

Aug.25.2022
Hawaii Cancer Researcher Receives $2.8M to Prevent E-Cigarette Use
Hawaii researcher receives $2.8 million to create and test e-cigarette prevention plan for rural youth, especially indigenous and Pacific islanders.

A researcher from the Cancer Center at the University of Hawaii has been awarded a $2.8 million grant to develop and test an e-cigarette prevention program for rural youth in the state, with a focus on Hawaiian natives and other Pacific Islanders who have been particularly affected.


Previously, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported that 18% of middle school students in the state used electronic cigarette products, the highest among the 14 states that collected relevant data. On Wednesday, the university stated that the figure for young indigenous and Pacific Islander people on the island had risen to 30%.


Scott Okamoto, recipient of a grant from the National Institute on Drug Abuse, will develop a school-based and culturally grounded program to prevent the use of electronic cigarettes. The program will build upon the existing drug prevention course called Ho'ouna Pono.


The so-called electronic cigarette intervention will include social and print media activities in middle schools and charter schools on the Big Island. According to a press release, more than 500 students are expected to participate in this study over the next five years. "As far as we know, this is the first study to develop and test an electronic cigarette prevention intervention specifically for rural youth in Hawaii," said Okamoto. "Our proposed intervention will educate young people on the risks of using electronic cigarettes, while also reflecting the cultural and relational values of rural Hawaiian youth and communities.


The impact of e-cigarettes on young people is related to health issues such as asthma, bronchitis, and increased risk of lung cancer. A press release states, "Research has also found that the likelihood of being diagnosed with Covid-19 is five times higher among former e-cigarette users.


Statement


This article has been compiled from third-party information and is intended for industry exchange and learning purposes.


This article does not represent the views of 2FIRSTS and 2FIRSTS cannot confirm the authenticity and accuracy of the content. The compilation of this article is only intended for industry communication and research.


Due to limitations in our ability to translate, the compiled article may not accurately reflect the original text. Please refer to the original text for accuracy.


2FIRSTS maintains full compliance with the Chinese government regarding any domestic, Hong Kong, Macao, Taiwan, or foreign-related statements or positions.


The compilation of information is owned by the original media outlet and author. If there is any infringement, please contact us to request removal.


This document has been generated through artificial intelligence translation and is provided solely for the purposes of industry discourse and learning. Please note that the intellectual property rights of the content belong to the original media source or author. Owing to certain limitations in the translation process, there may be discrepancies between the translated text and the original content. We recommend referring to the original source for complete accuracy. In case of any inaccuracies, we invite you to reach out to us with corrections. If you believe any content has infringed upon your rights, please contact us immediately for its removal.

South Korea online purchasing fuels spread among younger groups; online drug cases share climbs
South Korea online purchasing fuels spread among younger groups; online drug cases share climbs
Police said detections of new drugs disguised as e-cigarettes reached 1,206 cases through September last year, up from 941 in 2022, and the number of detected drug types increased from 26 to 33 over the same period.
Feb.11 by 2FIRSTS.ai
PMI says it submitted evidence to FDA panel backing ZYN bid for modified-risk status
PMI says it submitted evidence to FDA panel backing ZYN bid for modified-risk status
Philip Morris International said it presented scientific evidence to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s Tobacco Products Scientific Advisory Committee to support its ZYN nicotine pouches seeking a modified risk tobacco product designation, which would allow the company to communicate to adult smokers that switching completely to ZYN could reduce the risk of multiple smoking-related diseases.
Jan.26 by 2FIRSTS.ai
From Tamarind’s AI Shift to Industry Restructuring, The ‘Amazon Moment’ for Nicotine Is Approaching
From Tamarind’s AI Shift to Industry Restructuring, The ‘Amazon Moment’ for Nicotine Is Approaching
Tamarind Intelligence’s decision to appoint a technology-sector executive as chief executive officer signals more than a leadership reshuffle at a specialist data firm. It reflects a broader structural shift across the global nicotine industry, where companies, regulators and intelligence providers are embedding artificial intelligence into core operations.
Special Report
Feb.18
Russia’s Rostov Region Eyes Full Vape Sales Ban, Signals Tighter Tobacco Retail Rules
Russia’s Rostov Region Eyes Full Vape Sales Ban, Signals Tighter Tobacco Retail Rules
Russia’s Rostov region is preparing to pursue a region-wide ban on vape sales and is also signaling support for broader regional powers to tighten tobacco retail rules. A regional lawmaker said the initiative aligns with a State Duma bill that would allow regions to impose vape sales bans—an initiative he said has presidential backing.
Jan.28 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Indiana SB 185 Advances: Foreign-Made Vapes Would Be Barred, With Focus on China
Indiana SB 185 Advances: Foreign-Made Vapes Would Be Barred, With Focus on China
Indiana State Sen. Ron Alting is backing Senate Bill 185, which would ban vape shops in Indiana from selling any foreign-made vaping products and restrict retail shelves to U.S.-made items. Alting has framed the proposal as a consumer-safety measure and has singled out China, citing industry reporting that China produces more than 90% of the world’s vape hardware.
Jan.27 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Malaysia’s MOH aims to implement a vape ban in 2026, starting with open pod systems
Malaysia’s MOH aims to implement a vape ban in 2026, starting with open pod systems
Bernama (Malaysia’s national news agency) reported that Health Minister Datuk Seri Dr Dzulkefly Ahmad said the Ministry of Health aims to implement a vape ban this year, beginning with open pod systems, and will not compromise on enforcing the Control of Smoking Products for Public Health Act 2024 (Act 852).
Jan.06 by 2FIRSTS.ai