Nebraska Attorney General Cracks Down on Delta-8 Products Sale

Sep.05.2024
Nebraska Attorney General Cracks Down on Delta-8 Products Sale
Nebraska Attorney General launches crackdown on retailers selling delta-8 products in Norfolk, citing consumer protection violations and misleading practices.

According to a report by Yahoo News on September 5th, Attorney General Mike Hilgers of Nebraska announced on Wednesday (the 4th) that he will be conducting surprise inspections of retailers selling delta-8 products throughout the state.


Hillges stated during the press conference that


We are ramping up efforts to clean up Nebraska. This is the first time we have filed lawsuits against every store in a community. These stores have been deceiving residents of Nebraska.


Hilgers announced that four new lawsuits have been filed against five Norfolk businesses. These lawsuits were filed in Madison County District Court on Wednesday, accusing the businesses of violating the Consumer Protection Act, the Uniform Deceptive Trade Practices Act, and the Nebraska Pure Food Act.


Spokespersons for two stores in Norfolk city stated that they were not aware of any issues with the products purchased from wholesalers. Tiffany Colsden, the general manager of NP Mart, mentioned that her team only learned about the investigation through the media on Wednesday (the 4th). She stated that by noon, both stores had already removed the products in question from shelves.


Meanwhile, lawsuits have also been filed against Smokin' Deals, Smokes R. Less, and Vapor Hutt. When a journalist called Smokes R. Less, the person who answered the phone hung up. The owner of Vapor Hutt could not be reached.


Regina Uecker, the owner of Smokin' Deals, expressed feelings of sadness and anger upon learning about the investigation. She said, "I don't understand at all, it's so frustrating that they couldn't work with us." As of Wednesday afternoon, she had not made any changes to the inventory in her store because she had not received any paperwork and did not know what they were being accused of. She added that her store operates in compliance with regulations, only selling products to customers 21 years and older and not selling products resembling candy.


The Office of the Attorney General is responsible for enforcing the Consumer Protection Act, seeking civil penalties and other remedies. Herges has pledged to work to close the legal loopholes related to Delta-8 opened by the 2018 Farm Bill.


Hilgess explained the reason behind the city-wide crackdown, pointing out that retailers told his team that if they were to stop selling these products, the criminals would simply continue to do so.


What have we done for this community? We will be cleaning up one city at a time, starting with Norfolk.


In Norfolk City, he reported that all 34 products tested from stores were inaccurately labeled. He said that more than one-third of the tested products contained marijuana. This is not only an urgent concern for Madison County but the entire trading area as well. Vlad stated that these products have raised concerns at both state and federal levels. Last year, the US FDA received over 300 reports of children and adults being injured after consuming Delta-8 THC products.


The key is not where we start from, but where we will end up. We will visit every city in Nebraska that sells these products.


We welcome news tips, article submissions, interview requests, or comments on this piece.

Please contact us at info@2firsts.com, or reach out to Alan Zhao, CEO of 2Firsts, on LinkedIn


Notice

1.  This article is intended solely for professional research purposes related to industry, technology, and policy. Any references to brands or products are made purely for objective description and do not constitute any form of endorsement, recommendation, or promotion by 2Firsts.

2.  The use of nicotine-containing products — including, but not limited to, cigarettes, e-cigarettes, nicotine pouchand heated tobacco products — carries significant health risks. Users are responsible for complying with all applicable laws and regulations in their respective jurisdictions.

3.  This article is not intended to serve as the basis for any investment decisions or financial advice. 2Firsts assumes no direct or indirect liability for any inaccuracies or errors in the content.

4.  Access to this article is strictly prohibited for individuals below the legal age in their jurisdiction.

 

Copyright

 

This article is either an original work created by 2Firsts or a reproduction from third-party sources with proper attribution. All copyrights and usage rights belong to 2Firsts or the original content provider. Unauthorized reproduction, distribution, or any other form of unauthorized use by any individual or organization is strictly prohibited. Violators will be held legally accountable.

For copyright-related inquiries, please contact: info@2firsts.com

 

AI Assistance Disclaimer

 

This article may have been enhanced using AI tools to improve translation and editorial efficiency. However, due to technical limitations, inaccuracies may occur. Readers are encouraged to refer to the cited sources for the most accurate information.

We welcome any corrections or feedback. Please contact us at: info@2firsts.com

Imperial Brands Plans Thousands of Job Cuts Across U.S. and Europe in Cost Restructuring
Imperial Brands Plans Thousands of Job Cuts Across U.S. and Europe in Cost Restructuring
According to Reuters, citing Bloomberg News, British tobacco company Imperial Brands PLC plans to cut thousands of jobs across the United States and Europe as part of a cost reduction and organizational restructuring effort. The announcement drew market attention to the company’s shares. The move comes as global tobacco companies continue adjusting their operations amid slower cigarette market growth, changing consumer preferences and the transition toward next-generation nicotine products.
Aug.11
FDA 2025 NYTS: Youth E-Cigarette Use Declines but Unauthorized Disposables Remain Prominent; Nicotine Pouch Use Stays Low
FDA 2025 NYTS: Youth E-Cigarette Use Declines but Unauthorized Disposables Remain Prominent; Nicotine Pouch Use Stays Low
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) released its 2025 National Youth Tobacco Survey analysis, saying about 2.01 million U.S. middle and high school students currently used any tobacco product; among current youth e-cigarette users, unauthorized disposable brands including Geek Bar, Elf Bar, Lost Mary and Raz had high reported shares, potentially making them a focus for future enforcement.
Jun.24
UK Councils Seize More Than 1.3 Million Non-Compliant Vapes One Year After Disposable Ban
UK Councils Seize More Than 1.3 Million Non-Compliant Vapes One Year After Disposable Ban
One year after the UK disposable vape ban came into force, local authorities continue to seize illegal and non-compliant vaping products. FOI data compiled by nicotine retailer Northerner shows more than 1.3 million products were seized between June 2025 and May 2026, with Bolton recording the highest number of seizures and Swansea reporting the highest estimated value.
Jul.21
DOJ Trade Fraud Task Force Tops $1 Billion in Cases, Putting Vape Supply Chains at Risk of Fraud Enforcement
DOJ Trade Fraud Task Force Tops $1 Billion in Cases, Putting Vape Supply Chains at Risk of Fraud Enforcement
According to the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), Fox News and other reports, the DOJ’s Trade Fraud Task Force (TFTF) has been linked to more than $1 billion in recoveries, penalties, forfeitures and publicly charged losses in less than one year. The task force focuses on trade fraud issues including country-of-origin fraud, illegal transshipment, false declarations and tariff evasion. While vape products are not the main source of the $1 billion figure, the industry’s reliance on global manufacturing and cross-border supply chains places it within broader U.S. trade enforcement scrutiny. The development suggests that U.S. oversight of cross-border vape products may increasingly extend beyond product authorization into import compliance, supply-chain transparency and corporate accountability.
Jul.23
Scotland Plans to Remove Business Rates Relief From Vape Shops From 2027
Scotland Plans to Remove Business Rates Relief From Vape Shops From 2027
The Scottish Government plans to remove business rates relief from vape shops from April 1, 2027, saying the measure is intended to ensure vape retailers contribute to the high street and align rates relief with public health commitments, while the impact on convenience stores that sell vaping products remains unclear.
News
Jun.26 by 2Firsts Perspectives
Seita’s Julia Neumaier Says France Should Target Vape Access, Not Plain Packaging
Seita’s Julia Neumaier Says France Should Target Vape Access, Not Plain Packaging
Julia Neumaier, general manager of Seita, Imperial Brands’ French subsidiary, said France should focus vaping regulation on access control, age verification, online sales and distribution channels, rather than applying tobacco-style plain packaging to vaping products.
Jul.15