WHO awards Mexican President for anti-smoking policy

Jun.17.2022
WHO awards Mexican President for anti-smoking policy
WHO awards Mexican president for banning smoking and heated tobacco products, despite controversy among anti-smoking experts.

The World Health Organization (WHO) has honored Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador with an award for his policy of banning smoking and heated tobacco products, which was deemed controversial among tobacco harm reduction experts.

 

On World No Tobacco Day on May 31, the Mexican government announced the approval of a new Tobacco Law, which includes a ban on the sale of all electronic nicotine delivery systems (ENDS). The official reason for the ban was cited as a health concern, with President Andrés Manuel López Obrador stating that the claim that these products are a safer alternative to cigarettes is a "lie". He went on to say that vaping is also harmful to health.

 

He then displayed a pink vaping device to illustrate how these products are appealing to young people. "Look at this color, this design," said Lopez Obrador. In October of last year, Mexico banned the import and export of electronic cigarette devices and pods, but since then many companies continued to sell their stock. The new ban includes "the circulation and sale of these new products," added Obrador.

 

Countries following the guidance of the World Health Organization have been combating high smoking rates.

 

Meanwhile, a 59-page white paper was presented discussing the case studies conducted in several countries to measure progress related to smoking cessation. The findings show that countries following the World Health Organization's guidance have been consistently battling higher smoking rates.

 

The publication titled "Best Practices From Around the World: UK, New Zealand, France, and Canada for Vaping Works" was released by the Property Rights Alliance. It consists of four case studies from Christopher Snowdon (Institute of Economic Affairs, UK), Louis Houlbrooke (Taxpayers' Union, New Zealand), Patrick Coquart (IREF, France), and Professor Ian Irvine (Concordia University, Canada), and confirms what public health experts have consistently pointed out.

 

Countries that have implemented a progressive policy to reduce the harm caused by tobacco are experiencing a significant decrease in smoking rates. Meanwhile, those that have followed guidance from the World Health Organization continue to suffer from excessive smoking-related illnesses and deaths," said the Asia Pacific Advocates for Tobacco Harm Reduction Alliance (CAPHRA).

 

Nancy Loucas, the coordinator of CAPHRA, stated that luckily the release of this important data coincides with the notorious Ninth Conference of the Parties to the World Health Organization's Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC) held in November last year. She further said that finally this document proves that countries that have adopted smoking, such as France, the United Kingdom, New Zealand, and Canada, have witnessed a faster decline in smoking rates, which is twice the global average.

 


Disclaimer

This article is provided solely for professional research, industry discussion, and informational purposes. Any references to brands, companies, products, technologies, or policies are made for factual reporting and analytical purposes only, and do not constitute endorsement, recommendation, promotion, or advertising by 2Firsts.

Nicotine-containing products, including but not limited to cigarettes, e-cigarettes, heated tobacco products, and nicotine pouches, carry significant health risks. Readers are responsible for complying with all applicable laws and regulations in their respective jurisdictions, including age restrictions and access limitations.

The information contained in this article should not be regarded as investment, legal, medical, regulatory, or commercial advice. While 2Firsts strives to ensure the accuracy and reliability of its content, it does not assume liability for any direct or indirect loss arising from errors, omissions, inaccuracies, or reliance on the information contained herein.

This article is not intended for individuals below the legal age for accessing tobacco or nicotine-related information in their jurisdiction.

 

Copyright Notice

This article is either original content produced by 2Firsts or content reproduced, translated, summarized, or adapted from third-party sources with attribution where applicable. The intellectual property rights of the original content remain with 2Firsts or the respective original rights holders.

No individual or organization may copy, reproduce, distribute, republish, modify, translate, or otherwise use this content without prior authorization. Any unauthorized use may result in legal action.

For copyright-related inquiries, corrections, or removal requests, please contact: info@2firsts.com.

 

AI-Assisted Translation and Editing Notice

Portions of this article may have been translated, edited, or reviewed with the assistance of artificial intelligence tools to improve efficiency and readability. Due to the limitations of AI-assisted translation and editing, discrepancies, omissions, or inaccuracies may exist when compared with the original source.

Where applicable, readers are advised to refer to the original source for the most complete and accurate information. If you identify any errors or believe that any content infringes upon your rights, please contact us at info@2firsts.com, and we will review and address the matter promptly.

 $20 Million, a Permanent Injunction and Distributor Controls: Posh Deal Tightens Illinois Vape Compliance
$20 Million, a Permanent Injunction and Distributor Controls: Posh Deal Tightens Illinois Vape Compliance
An Illinois court ordered three companies tied to Posh vapes to pay $20 million and permanently restricted the sale, marketing and distribution in Illinois of products lacking required FDA authorization. The consent order also imposes downstream distributor controls, age-verification measures and social-media marketing limits, creating a new state-level compliance benchmark for disposable vape businesses.
Regulations
Aug.05
Product | IQOS ILUMA i REMIX Limited Edition Launches in Japan, Bringing New Design Elements to Heated Tobacco Devices
Product | IQOS ILUMA i REMIX Limited Edition Launches in Japan, Bringing New Design Elements to Heated Tobacco Devices
Philip Morris Japan (PM Japan) has introduced the IQOS ILUMA i REMIX Limited Edition series, including the IQOS ILUMA i Prime REMIX, IQOS ILUMA i REMIX and IQOS ILUMA i ONE REMIX devices. The limited-edition models were officially announced in Japan on June 9, 2026, and began a phased market rollout from June 10. Featuring gradient color designs and visual customization elements, the collection highlights PMI’s continued use of limited editions to enhance brand experience within its heated tobacco portfolio.
Innovation
Jul.21 by 2Firsts Perspectives
Switzerland Tightens Vape Checks as Only 3 of 32 Tested Products Meet New Tobacco Rules
Switzerland Tightens Vape Checks as Only 3 of 32 Tested Products Meet New Tobacco Rules
According to Swiss media outlet Blick, local authorities are strengthening compliance checks on vape products, nicotine pouches and other tobacco-related products following the implementation of Switzerland’s revised Tobacco Products Act. A Basel laboratory tested 32 disposable vapes and e-liquids, with only three meeting regulatory requirements and 21 products banned from sale. Swiss authorities are also expanding retail inspections, laboratory testing and youth purchase checks to enforce the new tobacco and nicotine product rules.
Aug.12
Minnesota Sues Loon as State Enforcement Targets U.S. Vape Brand Operators
Minnesota Sues Loon as State Enforcement Targets U.S. Vape Brand Operators
Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison sued Maduro Distributors, Inc., doing business as Loon, on July 15, 2026, alleging that the company illegally manufactured, distributed and sold flavored vapes that appeal to minors.
Jul.16
UK Sets Oct. 29 Start for New Vape Retail Rules Covering Age Checks, Giveaways and Discounts
UK Sets Oct. 29 Start for New Vape Retail Rules Covering Age Checks, Giveaways and Discounts
The UK Department of Health and Social Care published new guidance on Aug. 11 outlining the next phase of retail rules under the Tobacco and Vapes Act 2026, which will take effect on Oct. 29, 2026. The measures extend the minimum age of sale of 18 to all vaping and consumer nicotine products and restrict proxy purchasing, promotional giveaways and substantial discounts. Relevant offences in England, Wales and Scotland may carry a £200 fixed penalty notice, while persistent offenders can face temporary sales bans.
Aug.12
Product | Geek Bar Expands Meloso Lineup With the Launch of Meloso Max 2
Product | Geek Bar Expands Meloso Lineup With the Launch of Meloso Max 2
Geek Bar has added Meloso Max 2 to its official product lineup, further expanding its disposable vape portfolio. As the latest generation of the Meloso series, the new device introduces upgrades in endurance, device interaction and industrial design while reinforcing Geek Bar’s strategy of offering differentiated disposable products across multiple usage scenarios.
Jun.26