Youth Nicotine Use: A Growing Public Health Concern

Nov.25.2022
Youth Nicotine Use: A Growing Public Health Concern
Teenagers in the US are increasingly using e-cigarettes and flavored tobacco products, leading to concerns of nicotine addiction.

According to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, approximately 1,600 young people in this country will try their first cigarette each day.


According to the 2022 National Youth Tobacco Survey, "3.7% of middle and high school students - about 1 million in total - have tried combustible tobacco products such as cigars or cigarettes," reported Ken Alltucker of USA Today. This isn't even their most popular choice. Survey data shows that e-cigarettes are by far the most popular choice for school-age children. During the study period from January 18 to May 31, "nearly 3.1 million middle and high school students tried e-cigarettes or other tobacco products." Among adolescent e-cigarette users, "85% said they use flavored e-cigarettes, with over half using disposable e-cigarettes.


The number of people using very specific tobacco products is much higher among certain groups, and this is not a coincidence," said Matthew L. Myers, President of the non-profit organization, the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids. "This is directly related to the advertising positioning of the tobacco industry.


It is truly concerning that 3 million children are using these products," added Erika Sward, Assistant Vice President for National Advocacy at the American Lung Association.


Seasoning products have fueled this epidemic from the beginning," said Dennis Henigan, Vice President of Law and Regulatory Affairs for the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids, to USA Today.


Flavored electronic cigarettes are causing a new generation of Americans to become addicted to nicotine," wrote Margaret Foti, CEO of the American Association for Cancer Research, in a recent STAT news op-ed.


In the past decade, there has been a significant increase in the number of teenagers, young adults, and individuals who have never previously used tobacco products, using flavored electronic cigarettes and other electronic nicotine delivery systems, reaching its peak among high school students in 2019," said Forte. "While the use of these products saw a decline during the COVID-19 pandemic, their popularity is once again on the rise.


According to a report by USA Today, although the US Food and Drug Administration issued a ban in 2020 prohibiting the use of flavor cartridges in e-cigarettes that deliver nicotine, the industry seems to have found a way around this regulation by selling lab-made nicotine instead of tobacco-made nicotine. Earlier this year, the FDA warned synthetic nicotine manufacturers and retailers about the illegal sale and marketing of these products.


Swod warned that, "Until we address the root causes - wholesalers, manufacturers, and distributors - we will continue in this cycle" of young people vaping.


Foti wrote: "Prohibiting flavored (electronic nicotine delivery systems) products would be a powerful strategy for reducing their appeal to young people, and reducing the appeal of these products must be an urgent public health priority.


In late October, the American Cancer Society and the American Society of Clinical Oncology released an updated joint policy statement calling for urgent action to prevent further nicotine addiction. "It includes a ban on all flavored electronic nicotine delivery system products and strengthened regulatory enforcement," she added. The research cited by Foti suggests that young people who use these products are approximately three times more likely to start smoking traditional cigarettes than their peers who do not use them.


As cancer experts, we are increasingly concerned about the growing use of electronic nicotine delivery systems, as adolescents and young people who may not have used traditional tobacco products are now using these devices and risking addiction to nicotine, which in turn could lead to long-term use of combustible tobacco," she added.


According to an article on NewsForKids.net, a platform created by teachers to inform children about news, the problems caused by e-cigarettes could last a lifetime for those who have never smoked before. In the US, cigarettes and e-cigarettes can only be sold to adults, but many companies are attempting to lure young people into trying e-cigarettes by using flavors such as candy or cotton candy, making the e-liquid look like children's juice or candy. Therefore, many young people are starting to use e-cigarettes, believing them to be safe.


It is dangerous for young people's brain development to be exposed to nicotine. The Mayo Clinic states that for some individuals, any amount of tobacco use can quickly lead to nicotine addiction. This is the reality our children are facing.


Statement:


This article is compiled from third-party information and is intended for industry-related communication and learning purposes only.


This article does not represent the views of 2FIRSTS and 2FIRSTS cannot confirm the truthfulness or accuracy of the content. The translation of this article is only intended for industry exchange and research purposes.


Due to limitations in the translator's ability, the translated article may not fully convey the same meaning as the original. Please refer to the original article for accuracy.


2FIRSTS is fully aligned with the Chinese government's position on any domestic, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan or foreign-related issues and statements.


The copyright of the compiled information belongs to the original media and author. If there is any infringement, please contact us for removal.


This document has been generated through artificial intelligence translation and is provided solely for the purposes of industry discourse and learning. Please note that the intellectual property rights of the content belong to the original media source or author. Owing to certain limitations in the translation process, there may be discrepancies between the translated text and the original content. We recommend referring to the original source for complete accuracy. In case of any inaccuracies, we invite you to reach out to us with corrections. If you believe any content has infringed upon your rights, please contact us immediately for its removal.

PMI says it submitted evidence to FDA panel backing ZYN bid for modified-risk status
PMI says it submitted evidence to FDA panel backing ZYN bid for modified-risk status
Philip Morris International said it presented scientific evidence to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s Tobacco Products Scientific Advisory Committee to support its ZYN nicotine pouches seeking a modified risk tobacco product designation, which would allow the company to communicate to adult smokers that switching completely to ZYN could reduce the risk of multiple smoking-related diseases.
Jan.26 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Malaysian police raids across five states: 51 held and over RM1 million in vapes seized
Malaysian police raids across five states: 51 held and over RM1 million in vapes seized
Police in Malaysia detained 51 individuals and seized over RM1 million worth of electronic cigarettes and liquid refills in a five-state operation dubbed “Op E-CIG,” conducted by the GOF Central Brigade on February 10. The report said the operation involved 30 raids across Kuala Lumpur, Johor, Melaka, Selangor and Negeri Sembilan. Authorities seized 2,263 vape units and 165.463 litres of liquid.
Feb.12 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Police dismantle a network of 50+ stores selling unmarked nicotine products in the Moscow region
Police dismantle a network of 50+ stores selling unmarked nicotine products in the Moscow region
TASS reported that police dismantled a distribution network in the Moscow region selling nicotine-containing products, e-cigarettes and vapes without mandatory markings, with organizers earning more than 10 million rubles per month (more than about $130,000). Interior Ministry spokesperson Irina Volk said some items were labeled with counterfeit identification tools of the Chestny Znak system, while others had no codes.
Dec.30 by 2FIRSTS.ai
UK Disposable Vape Ban Fallout: Convenience Vape Units Down 20.8%, Retailers Hit by a “Triple Whammy,” Talysis Says
UK Disposable Vape Ban Fallout: Convenience Vape Units Down 20.8%, Retailers Hit by a “Triple Whammy,” Talysis Says
UK convenience insight agency Talysis says vape unit sales in convenience stores have fallen 20.8% and value sales 12.7% nearly eight months after the disposable vape ban took effect.
Jan.28 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Product | Full-screen display and 10K puffs: IVG launches new Pro-series pod vape in the UK
Product | Full-screen display and 10K puffs: IVG launches new Pro-series pod vape in the UK
E-cigarette brand IVG has recently rolled out the IVG Pro 2 across several UK online retailers. The device is compatible with IVG Pro pods and comes in 33 flavours with nicotine strengths of 0mg, 10mg and 20mg. Channel listings show a 2ml prefilled pod paired with a 10ml refill container, with pricing around £9.99.
Feb.02 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Mexico’s ENCODAT 2025 finds smoking rate falls as vaping rises
Mexico’s ENCODAT 2025 finds smoking rate falls as vaping rises
Results from Mexico’s ENCODAT 2025 indicate a structural shift in tobacco and nicotine use: past-month combustible tobacco use among the general population (ages 12–65) declined to 15.1%, down from 17.6% in 2016, while past-month e-cigarette use increased to 2.6%, up from 1.1%.
Dec.25 by 2FIRSTS.ai