BAT Kenya Faces Delay in New Nicotine Pouch Product Launch

BAT by 2FIRSTS.ai
May.07.2024
BAT Kenya Faces Delay in New Nicotine Pouch Product Launch
BAT Kenya's new nicotine pouch production delayed due to lack of regulatory approval, impacting $23.7 million factory operations.

According to the African media outlet BusinessDaily Africa, on May 7, the Kenyan branch of the British American Tobacco Company (BAT) is unable to meet the growing demand for its new nicotine pouch product due to a lack of approval from regulatory authorities. This has resulted in a delay in the operation of their 2.5 billion Kenyan Shilling (approximately 23.7 million US dollars) factory, which was intended to produce new products for the African market.

 

BAT Kenya noted in its annual report that despite strong performance in the local market, the supply chain was disrupted at the end of last year due to the factory still not being operational.

 

BAT Kenya stated in a report that, "We plan to expedite the reduction of tobacco hazards in 2023 and reintroduce our nicotine pouch products in the Kenyan market by 2022. However, by the end of the year, our supply of nicotine pouches in the Kenyan market was disrupted due to regulatory uncertainty. This also affected the commercialization of our modern oral nicotine products manufacturing facility."

 

In 2019, the cigarette manufacturer BAT launched its nicotine pouch brand Lifyt in the Kenyan market for the first time. However, it was banned because it was classified as a pharmaceutical product rather than a tobacco product. The ban was lifted in 2022 after the nicotine pouches were agreed to be classified as tobacco products by the Tobacco Control Committee. BAT reintroduced the product to the market in 2023 under a new brand, Velo. Despite various pressures, the new nicotine pouch manufacturing facility is yet to be implemented.

 

We welcome news tips, article submissions, interview requests, or comments on this piece.

Please contact us at info@2firsts.com, or reach out to Alan Zhao, CEO of 2Firsts, on LinkedIn


Notice

1.  This article is intended solely for professional research purposes related to industry, technology, and policy. Any references to brands or products are made purely for objective description and do not constitute any form of endorsement, recommendation, or promotion by 2Firsts.

2.  The use of nicotine-containing products — including, but not limited to, cigarettes, e-cigarettes, nicotine pouchand heated tobacco products — carries significant health risks. Users are responsible for complying with all applicable laws and regulations in their respective jurisdictions.

3.  This article is not intended to serve as the basis for any investment decisions or financial advice. 2Firsts assumes no direct or indirect liability for any inaccuracies or errors in the content.

4.  Access to this article is strictly prohibited for individuals below the legal age in their jurisdiction.

 

Copyright

 

This article is either an original work created by 2Firsts or a reproduction from third-party sources with proper attribution. All copyrights and usage rights belong to 2Firsts or the original content provider. Unauthorized reproduction, distribution, or any other form of unauthorized use by any individual or organization is strictly prohibited. Violators will be held legally accountable.

For copyright-related inquiries, please contact: info@2firsts.com

 

AI Assistance Disclaimer

 

This article may have been enhanced using AI tools to improve translation and editorial efficiency. However, due to technical limitations, inaccuracies may occur. Readers are encouraged to refer to the cited sources for the most accurate information.

We welcome any corrections or feedback. Please contact us at: info@2firsts.com

Acting CTP Director Says FDA Cut Premarket Tobacco Application Backlog by About 70% Over the Past Year
Acting CTP Director Says FDA Cut Premarket Tobacco Application Backlog by About 70% Over the Past Year
FDA Center for Tobacco Products Acting Director Bret Koplow said at the American Tobacco and Nicotine Forum that the agency has reduced its premarket tobacco application backlog by about 70% over the past year and eliminated the acceptance queue. He said FDA has reviewed about 27 million applications, but only a small number have been authorized, mainly because most submissions lacked the scientific data needed to demonstrate public health benefits.
Apr.23 by 2FIRSTS.ai
KT&G Q1 2026 Financial Results: Revenue at $1.156 Billion, E-Cigarettes to Launch Independent Overseas Expansion
KT&G Q1 2026 Financial Results: Revenue at $1.156 Billion, E-Cigarettes to Launch Independent Overseas Expansion
KT&G reports a 27.6% increase in Q1 operating profit, with traditional and new tobacco sectors driving growth.
May.07 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Philip Morris International Says Part of Owensboro ZYN Output Is Exceeding Market Demand
Philip Morris International Says Part of Owensboro ZYN Output Is Exceeding Market Demand
Philip Morris International said its Swedish Match facility in Owensboro will adjust part of its production schedule this summer in response to changing market conditions. According to a notice the company gave union leadership and employees on April 22, parts of ZYN production will shift from a 24/7 schedule back to a 24/5 schedule. The ZYN Flagship department will return to a five-day, three-shift operation.
Apr.23 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Guernsey Rejects Petition to Overturn Under-18 Vape Shop Ban
Guernsey Rejects Petition to Overturn Under-18 Vape Shop Ban
A petition seeking to overturn a new ban on under-18s entering vape shops in Guernsey has been rejected. The Health and Social Care Committee said the measure meets its objective of protecting children from exposure to vaping products.
Mar.23 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Shunhao Shares Reports 2025 Revenue of RMB 1.188 Billion, While Q1 2026 Net Profit Rises 49.94% and New Tobacco Operations Continue
Shunhao Shares Reports 2025 Revenue of RMB 1.188 Billion, While Q1 2026 Net Profit Rises 49.94% and New Tobacco Operations Continue
Shunhao Shares’ 2025 annual report summary and first-quarter 2026 report show that the company recorded 2025 revenue of RMB 1.188 billion, down 21.78% year on year, while net profit attributable to shareholders rose 30.00% to RMB 58.94 million. In the first quarter of 2026, revenue was RMB 291.51 million, down 10.34% year on year, while attributable net profit rose 49.94% to RMB 19.98 million.
Apr.29 by 2FIRSTS.ai
 RFK Jr. Spokesman Resigns Over FDA Authorization of Fruit-Flavored Vapes
RFK Jr. Spokesman Resigns Over FDA Authorization of Fruit-Flavored Vapes
Richard Danker, a senior public affairs official in Health Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr.’s team, resigned from his role at HHS over the FDA’s recent authorization of fruit-flavored vaping products. In a resignation letter addressed to President Donald Trump, Danker argued that the products could expose minors to nicotine addiction, lung damage, and increased cancer risks, while also conflicting with recent HHS guidance on youth risks associated with flavored nicotine products.
News
May.15