Brazil Orders Retailers to Stop Selling E-cigarettes or Face Fines

Sep.06.2022
Brazil Orders Retailers to Stop Selling E-cigarettes or Face Fines
Brazil orders 32 retailers to stop selling e-cigarettes or face daily fines of $969, citing consumer protection concerns.

Last week, Brazil's Ministry of Justice ordered 32 retailers in the country to cease the sale of electronic cigarette products or face substantial daily fines. The companies were given 48 hours to comply with the order, which was published in the official Brazilian Gazette on September 1. If retailers disregard the Ministry's order, they will be subject to a daily fine of 5,000 Brazilian reals (approximately $969 USD).


Less than two months after Brazil's food and drug regulatory agency, the National Health Surveillance Agency (ANVISA), confirmed its stance to maintain the existing ban on e-cigarette products in the country, a threat has arisen.


Brazil passed a ban on e-cigarettes in 2009, but these regulations are often ignored and e-cigarettes can be purchased in stores and online. Even large retailers appear to be disregarding the country's laws. According to a report by The Brazilian Report, one of the companies named in a judicial order is French retailer Carrefour, which operates over 1,000 stores in the country and is the largest chain supermarket in Brazil.


The Brazilian Judiciary and Public Security Department issued a press release on September 1, describing their action as a "preventative measure". According to the statement, the country's consumer protection agency, SENACON, "has assessed the necessity of taking emergency measures to address problems and protect consumer health and safety".


Approximately 20 million Brazilians smoke legally sold cigarettes. Brazil is the world's second largest tobacco producing country, second only to China.


Statement


This article was compiled based on third-party information and is intended for industry professionals for exchange and learning purposes.


This article does not represent the views of 2FIRSTS and 2FIRSTS cannot confirm the authenticity and accuracy of the content. The compilation of this article is only intended for communication and research within the industry.


Due to limitations in translation ability, the translated article may not fully express the intended meaning of the original text. Please refer to the original text for accuracy.


2FIRSTS maintains complete alignment with the Chinese government regarding any domestic, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, or foreign issues and stances.


The copyright of the compiled information belongs to the original media and authors. If there is any infringement, please contact us for deletion.


This document has been generated through artificial intelligence translation and is provided solely for the purposes of industry discourse and learning. Please note that the intellectual property rights of the content belong to the original media source or author. Owing to certain limitations in the translation process, there may be discrepancies between the translated text and the original content. We recommend referring to the original source for complete accuracy. In case of any inaccuracies, we invite you to reach out to us with corrections. If you believe any content has infringed upon your rights, please contact us immediately for its removal.

China National Tobacco Corp paid $222 bln into state finances in 2025
China National Tobacco Corp paid $222 bln into state finances in 2025
China National Tobacco Corporation (CNTC) paid a record $222 billion into China’s state finances in 2025, according to official industry data.
Special Report
Jan.23
Scottish retailers call for tougher action as illegal vape black market “deepens,” SGF says
Scottish retailers call for tougher action as illegal vape black market “deepens,” SGF says
Scottish retailers, through the Scottish Grocers’ Federation (SGF), are calling for tougher action and more investment to tackle a “deepening black market” in illegal vapes, including illegal sales to children. SGF warns the problem will worsen, with negative health impacts, if incoming regulations on vaping product sales are not carefully crafted and if shopkeepers’ views are not heard.
Jan.14 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Liverpool City Region Considers Healthier Advertising Rules for Trains, Ferries and Buses — Vapes Included
Liverpool City Region Considers Healthier Advertising Rules for Trains, Ferries and Buses — Vapes Included
The Liverpool City Region is considering a region-wide clampdown on advertising for junk food, sugary drinks and vapes on publicly owned infrastructure. The move is framed as part of a broader push to promote healthier lifestyles and tackle deep-rooted health inequalities, with a particular focus on reducing children’s exposure to harmful marketing in public spaces. The plan is set to go before the Combined Authority on Friday.
Jan.23 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Make Your Brand Understood by the People Who Matter
Make Your Brand Understood by the People Who Matter
Feb.02
San Francisco reaches $1 million settlement with nicotine pouch retailer Lucy Goods
San Francisco reaches $1 million settlement with nicotine pouch retailer Lucy Goods
In the United States, California, San Francisco City Attorney David Chiu announced a $1 million settlement requiring online tobacco retailer Lucy Goods, Inc. to stop shipping illegal tobacco products into San Francisco.
Jan.09 by 2FIRSTS.ai
German Environment Minister Backs Ban on Disposable E-Cigarettes, Citing Safety Risks
German Environment Minister Backs Ban on Disposable E-Cigarettes, Citing Safety Risks
Germany’s Environment Minister Carsten Schneider has expressed clear support for banning disposable e-cigarettes, citing safety hazards, environmental damage, and waste management risks. While the ban has not yet been finalized, Germany’s parliament has instructed the government to examine the proposal. Several European countries, including Belgium, France, and the UK, have already implemented similar bans.
Dec.30 by 2FIRSTS.ai