FDA Rejects Over 88,000 Nicotine Products, Crackdown Continues

Aug.05.2022
FDA Rejects Over 88,000 Nicotine Products, Crackdown Continues
FDA rejects manufacturers of over 88,000 nicotine-containing products, including synthetic nicotine, without approval. Evaluation of over 350 products ongoing.

The FDA announced on Wednesday that they have sent "refuse to accept" letters to manufacturers of over 88,000 products containing laboratory-made nicotine.


Stephanie Keith/Getty Images (no translation needed as this is already in standard journalistic English)


Brian Kin, Director of the Center for Tobacco Products, revealed the progress of the FDA's regulation of non-tobacco nicotine sources (i.e. synthetic nicotine). The FDA was authorized earlier this year to regulate synthetic nicotine.


Regulatory gray area.


Brian King stated in a letter to unapproved makers of nasal snuff that "selling or distributing any new tobacco products without pre-market authorization in the U.S. market is illegal." The FDA has not approved any synthetic nicotine products for marketing.


According to regulations set by the FDA, as of July 13th, all unauthorized synthetic nicotine products are considered illegal. Therefore, technically, any manufacturer that has not received FDA approval cannot sell their products after that date.


However, the FDA also noted that it will continue to evaluate over 350 synthetic nicotine products. While many of these products (most of which are e-cigarettes) are technically not allowed to be sold, it is still unclear whether the FDA will remove them from the market upon evaluation. The FDA has exercised enforcement discretion for e-cigarettes containing tobacco-derived nicotine, allowing them to remain on shelves while continuing to weigh their sale.


A buildup process


Jonathan Foulds, a public health science professor specializing in tobacco addiction at Penn State College of Medicine, told Pulse that some manufacturers of synthetic nicotine electronic cigarettes are undoubtedly bad. They exploit regulatory loopholes to stay on the market, with their products mainly targeting teenagers.


Given the tight timeline for compiling evidence, other manufacturers may not have had the opportunity to submit applications to the FDA. "To be honest, I'd be surprised if any of them got authorization," he told Pulse. "It's a lot of work that requires a great deal of information and proper research, which simply can't be completed in just two months." He noted that even electronic cigarette manufacturers that use tobacco-derived nicotine have been unable to meet the FDA's evidence standards, despite having had years to apply for marketing orders.


Statement:


This article is compiled from third-party information and is intended solely for industry exchange and learning purposes.


This article does not represent the views of 2FIRSTS and 2FIRSTS cannot confirm the truthfulness or accuracy of the content. The purpose of translating this article is solely for industry discussions and research.


Due to limitations in translation ability, the translated article may not fully convey the intended meaning of the original text. Please refer to the original text for accuracy.


2FIRSTS maintains complete alignment with the Chinese government regarding any domestic, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, or foreign-related expressions or positions.


The compilation of information belongs to the original media and author, and in the event of copyright infringement, please contact us for deletion.


He added, "If they are to withdraw from the market during the review by the agency, it would be fine by me, but they should have enough time to tidy up their applications.


This document has been generated through artificial intelligence translation and is provided solely for the purposes of industry discourse and learning. Please note that the intellectual property rights of the content belong to the original media source or author. Owing to certain limitations in the translation process, there may be discrepancies between the translated text and the original content. We recommend referring to the original source for complete accuracy. In case of any inaccuracies, we invite you to reach out to us with corrections. If you believe any content has infringed upon your rights, please contact us immediately for its removal.

Malaysian Sabah GOF seizes e-cigarettes, vapes and e-liquids worth over  USD 156,333 in seven-district operation
Malaysian Sabah GOF seizes e-cigarettes, vapes and e-liquids worth over USD 156,333 in seven-district operation
In Sabah, Malaysia’s General Operations Force (GOF) seized thousands of e-cigarette devices, vapes and e-liquids worth more than RM635,000 and detained 23 people during a simultaneous integrated operation across seven districts.
Jan.19 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Philip Morris Japan Launches New TEREA “Stellar Pearl,” Featuring Mint and Yellow Citrus Notes
Philip Morris Japan Launches New TEREA “Stellar Pearl,” Featuring Mint and Yellow Citrus Notes
Philip Morris Japan announced the launch of a new TEREA heated tobacco stick for the IQOS ILUMA series, “TEREA Stellar Pearl,” featuring a crushable capsule mint profile. The product will go on sale in Japan through offline retail channels from Jan. 19 and will be rolled out on the company’s official e-commerce store from Jan. 29, priced at 580 yen (about $3.6) per pack.
Jan.14 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Product | Detachable Battery + Dual-Battery System: RAZ VUE 50K Launches on U.S. Online Vape Channels
Product | Detachable Battery + Dual-Battery System: RAZ VUE 50K Launches on U.S. Online Vape Channels
RAZ has recently launched the RAZ VUE 50K on U.S. online vape channels, positioning it as the brand’s first disposable vape featuring a detachable battery. The device uses a dual-battery setup—an integrated 420mAh battery in the pod paired with a reusable 900mAh power bank—and is rated for up to approximately 50,000 puffs in Normal Mode.
Jan.16 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Russia’s St. Petersburg Sets Up Working Group to Consider Citywide Vape Sales Ban
Russia’s St. Petersburg Sets Up Working Group to Consider Citywide Vape Sales Ban
Russia’s St. Petersburg legislature has formed a working group to explore tougher controls on vape trade and sales, including the option of a citywide sales ban. The group is set to convene on Jan. 26 with participation from lawmakers, civil society and law enforcement. The move comes as Russia’s federal authorities continue to debate legislation that could allow regions to impose their own restrictions on vapes.
Jan.26 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Around 58,000 counterfeit vapes and tobacco seized from UK 's Hampshire streets over the past year
Around 58,000 counterfeit vapes and tobacco seized from UK 's Hampshire streets over the past year
UK's Hampshire Trading Standards says around 58,000 counterfeit vapes and tobacco products have been seized from Hampshire over the last year. Richard Strawson, Hampshire’s Head of Trading Standards, said officers often find vape products disguised under fake branding.
Jan.05 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Survey Shows E-cigarette Use Doubles Among Young Thais
Survey Shows E-cigarette Use Doubles Among Young Thais
Thailand’s latest national health survey shows a sharp increase in e-cigarette use among people under 30, particularly among female adolescents. Researchers found that vaping has not reduced overall tobacco harm and has instead driven growth in new nicotine users, with younger ages of initiation. Public health experts urged sustained enforcement and comprehensive policies centred on banning e-cigarettes, strengthening law enforcement and expanding public awareness to protect children and youth.
Dec.19 by 2FIRSTS.ai