Ireland’s HSE finds over a fifth of vape shops tested still selling to children despite under-18 ban

Jan.05
Ireland’s HSE finds over a fifth of vape shops tested still selling to children despite under-18 ban
Ireland’s Health Service Executive (HSE) data show that more than a fifth of vape shops tested were still selling nicotine-inhaling vaping products to children, despite a ban on sales to under-18s that took effect on December 22, 2023.

Key Takeaways

 

• Findings: 51 retailers sold to children in 224 tests between January and October, over 22%

• Enforcement: HSE’s National Environmental Health Service enforces the under-18 sales ban

• Timeline: ban effective December 22, 2023; test purchasing powers since March 2024

• Penalties: up to €4,000 fine and up to six months in prison

• Legislation: Public Health (Single Use Vapes) Bill progressing, proposing restrictions on disposables, flavours and packaging

 


 

2Firsts, January 5 2026 – According to the Irish Times, more than a fifth of vape shops tested were selling nicotine-inhaling vaping devices to children, despite a ban on sales to under-18s.

 

Between January and October last year, 51 retailers were caught selling vapes to children, representing more than 22% of the 224 shops where inspectors carried out tests to see if the devices would be sold to under-18s. The inspections were carried out by the HSE’s National Environmental Health Service, which enforces a 2023 law banning the sale of nicotine-inhaling vaping products to children.

 

The ban took effect on December 22, 2023. Since March 2024, the HSE has had the power to carry out “test purchasing” to detect retailers continuing to sell to children. In 2024, the HSE carried out 223 test purchases and found 40 retailers selling to under-18s. This rose to 51 retailers out of 224 tests in the first 10 months of last year.

 

Retailers caught selling vapes to under-18s can face a fine of up to €4,000 and up to six months in prison.

 

Ireland also regulates the safety, quality and advertising of vapes through a 2016 European Union directive. In 2024, the HSE carried out 256 inspections to ensure basic regulations were being upheld, and served 14 prohibition orders stopping the sale of unregulated vapes at shops it considered non-compliant. Between January and October last year, 36 prohibition orders were served following 496 inspections.

 

The figures were released by the HSE in response to a parliamentary question from Malcolm Byrne, the Fianna Fáil TD for Wicklow-Wexford. Byrne described nicotine inhaling as a serious public health risk and said the devices may help some give up cigarettes but still involve inhaling a dangerous substance.

 

A proposed law to ban the sale of disposable electronic cigarettes or vapes is progressing through the Oireachtas. The Bill aims to make vapes less attractive or accessible to children by banning cheaper disposable vapes, restricting flavours, limiting flavour descriptions to the basic name, and restricting colours and images on packaging. It is also intended to lessen the environmental impact of disposable nicotine products.

 

Byrne wants the Public Health (Single Use Vapes) Bill to include an outright ban on brightly coloured and sweetly flavoured nicotine devices, which he said are alleged to be targeted at children. He called for the Government to amend the Bill at committee stage to address flavoured vapes and colourful packaging.

 

Image source: Irish Times

 

We welcome news tips, article submissions, interview requests, or comments on this piece.

Please contact us at info@2firsts.com, or reach out to Alan Zhao, CEO of 2Firsts, on LinkedIn


Notice

1.  This article is intended solely for professional research purposes related to industry, technology, and policy. Any references to brands or products are made purely for objective description and do not constitute any form of endorsement, recommendation, or promotion by 2Firsts.

2.  The use of nicotine-containing products — including, but not limited to, cigarettes, e-cigarettes, nicotine pouchand heated tobacco products — carries significant health risks. Users are responsible for complying with all applicable laws and regulations in their respective jurisdictions.

3.  This article is not intended to serve as the basis for any investment decisions or financial advice. 2Firsts assumes no direct or indirect liability for any inaccuracies or errors in the content.

4.  Access to this article is strictly prohibited for individuals below the legal age in their jurisdiction.

 

Copyright

 

This article is either an original work created by 2Firsts or a reproduction from third-party sources with proper attribution. All copyrights and usage rights belong to 2Firsts or the original content provider. Unauthorized reproduction, distribution, or any other form of unauthorized use by any individual or organization is strictly prohibited. Violators will be held legally accountable.

For copyright-related inquiries, please contact: info@2firsts.com

 

AI Assistance Disclaimer

 

This article may have been enhanced using AI tools to improve translation and editorial efficiency. However, due to technical limitations, inaccuracies may occur. Readers are encouraged to refer to the cited sources for the most accurate information.

We welcome any corrections or feedback. Please contact us at: info@2firsts.com

BAT rolls out VELO nicotine pouches in Argentina as social media buzzes about ZYN distribution
BAT rolls out VELO nicotine pouches in Argentina as social media buzzes about ZYN distribution
BAT Argentina says it has launched VELO nicotine pouches in Argentina, positioning the product as an adult alternative that contains no tobacco and involves no combustion. At the same time, social media discussion and media reporting indicate that Philip Morris International’s ZYN nicotine pouches are also being distributed through Argentine channels.
Jan.12 by 2FIRSTS.ai
San Francisco reaches $1 million settlement with nicotine pouch retailer Lucy Goods
San Francisco reaches $1 million settlement with nicotine pouch retailer Lucy Goods
In the United States, California, San Francisco City Attorney David Chiu announced a $1 million settlement requiring online tobacco retailer Lucy Goods, Inc. to stop shipping illegal tobacco products into San Francisco.
Jan.09 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Thai Customs Region 2 seizes 22,800 YOOZ-branded vape pod heads
Thai Customs Region 2 seizes 22,800 YOOZ-branded vape pod heads
Thailand’s Customs Region 2 searched a private logistics company in Mukdahan province and seized 22,800 vape pod heads with no evidence of customs clearance. The seized items weighed 389.50 kg in total and were valued at more than THB 4.5 million (about USD 143,581.90). The photo shows packaging marked “YOOZ”.
Jan.16 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Consultation opens for Tasmania’s Public Health Amendment Bill 2026
Consultation opens for Tasmania’s Public Health Amendment Bill 2026
Consultation opened on February 6, 2026 for the Public Health Amendment (Prohibited Tobacco and Other Products) Bill 2026. The Bill intends to address illicit trade in tobacco, nicotine pouches and e-cigarettes, which has increased significantly across Tasmania in recent years. It proposes changes to the Public Health Act 1997 to further protect the health of Tasmanians by reducing the sale and supply of illicit tobacco, vaping and other products, and to strengthen existing tobacco control laws.
Feb.06 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Police dismantle a network of 50+ stores selling unmarked nicotine products in the Moscow region
Police dismantle a network of 50+ stores selling unmarked nicotine products in the Moscow region
TASS reported that police dismantled a distribution network in the Moscow region selling nicotine-containing products, e-cigarettes and vapes without mandatory markings, with organizers earning more than 10 million rubles per month (more than about $130,000). Interior Ministry spokesperson Irina Volk said some items were labeled with counterfeit identification tools of the Chestny Znak system, while others had no codes.
Dec.30 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Russia to Start Extrajudicial Blocking of Sites Selling Tobacco and Nicotine Products Online From March 1
Russia to Start Extrajudicial Blocking of Sites Selling Tobacco and Nicotine Products Online From March 1
Russia will introduce an extrajudicial (non-court) blocking mechanism starting March 1, 2026, allowing authorities to block websites selling tobacco and nicotine-containing products online without a court order. State Duma member Anton Nemkin said the change will place offending sites directly onto the prohibited information registry, speeding up enforcement, reducing the court burden, and increasing platform obligations to proactively monitor content.
Jan.29 by 2FIRSTS.ai