Perak to stop issuing new vape licences, aiming for a phased “zero sales” outcome after October

Jan.05
Perak to stop issuing new vape licences, aiming for a phased “zero sales” outcome after October
Perak executive councillor Datuk Sivanesan said the state government aims to progressively reach a “zero” level of vape sales no later than after October, noting vape operators were clearly informed in October 2025.

Key Points

 

• Goal: Perak to phase toward “zero vape sales” no later than after October

• Licensing: no new vape sales licences issued by Perak local authorities from Jan. 1, 2026

• Transition: existing unexpired licences may continue operating until expiry

• Federal update: amendments to tobacco-control laws for a nationwide ban are being prepared and expected to be tabled soon; a gazetted national ban would override

• Enforcement: local authorities will act against businesses that continue selling after the ban takes effect

 


 

2Firsts, January 5, 2026, 14:04 – According to Oriental Daily, Perak executive councillor Datuk Sivanesan said the state government aims to progressively achieve a “zero” level of vape sales no later than after October, as vape operators had been clearly notified in October 2025.

 

He said that if the federal government completes legislative amendments and gazettes a nationwide ban on vape sales before then, the national law would take precedence and Perak’s transitional arrangements would no longer apply.

 

Sivanesan said the federal government has begun studying amendments to relevant tobacco-control laws to ban e-cigarettes nationwide. He said several countries, including India, China, Thailand and Singapore, have fully banned e-cigarettes, and added that the health minister’s stance is firm, with related research and legal review completed by the Attorney General’s Chambers, and that amendment documents are expected to be tabled in Parliament soon.

 

At a press conference, Sivanesan, who oversees Perak’s human resources, health, Indian community and national unity portfolios, said the Perak government passed a vape sales ban policy in October 2025 and moved at the state level amid growing concerns about youth access and misuse.

 

He said that as the federal government has not yet imposed a comprehensive ban, Perak has acted within its powers by stopping the issuance of new vape sales licences as a preventive and control measure.

 

He said police research showed some traders were abusing the current system by supplying substances unsuitable for vaping, posing health risks, with most affected being young people. He said vapes were readily available, including in shopping malls.

 

He said he had announced that from Jan. 1, 2026, all local authorities in Perak would no longer issue any new vape sales licences. Licences already issued and not yet expired may continue operating until they expire. He said the state must provide a reasonable transition period, noting that licences issued as late as December could remain valid for up to 11 months, requiring a gradual phase-out while monitoring federal amendment progress.

 

Asked what operators should do with remaining inventory after licences expire, Sivanesan said operators had been notified in October 2025 that licences would not be renewed and should have made arrangements in advance.

 

He said some vape companies had appealed to him over livelihood concerns, and that the state therefore provided enough time for operators to transition, with companies aware they cannot continue vape business after the transition ends. He also stressed the measures would not affect retail employees’ jobs and pay, citing convenience-store staff as general sales workers, and said employers cannot cut wages on that basis.

 

He said local authorities would take action in accordance with the law against any business that continues selling vapes after the ban takes effect.

 

Photo credit: Oriental Daily News

 

We welcome news tips, article submissions, interview requests, or comments on this piece.

Please contact us at info@2firsts.com, or reach out to Alan Zhao, CEO of 2Firsts, on LinkedIn


Notice

1.  This article is intended solely for professional research purposes related to industry, technology, and policy. Any references to brands or products are made purely for objective description and do not constitute any form of endorsement, recommendation, or promotion by 2Firsts.

2.  The use of nicotine-containing products — including, but not limited to, cigarettes, e-cigarettes, nicotine pouchand heated tobacco products — carries significant health risks. Users are responsible for complying with all applicable laws and regulations in their respective jurisdictions.

3.  This article is not intended to serve as the basis for any investment decisions or financial advice. 2Firsts assumes no direct or indirect liability for any inaccuracies or errors in the content.

4.  Access to this article is strictly prohibited for individuals below the legal age in their jurisdiction.

 

Copyright

 

This article is either an original work created by 2Firsts or a reproduction from third-party sources with proper attribution. All copyrights and usage rights belong to 2Firsts or the original content provider. Unauthorized reproduction, distribution, or any other form of unauthorized use by any individual or organization is strictly prohibited. Violators will be held legally accountable.

For copyright-related inquiries, please contact: info@2firsts.com

 

AI Assistance Disclaimer

 

This article may have been enhanced using AI tools to improve translation and editorial efficiency. However, due to technical limitations, inaccuracies may occur. Readers are encouraged to refer to the cited sources for the most accurate information.

We welcome any corrections or feedback. Please contact us at: info@2firsts.com

Bangladesh enforces a complete ban on e-cigarettes and emerging tobacco products, with jail and heavy fines
Bangladesh enforces a complete ban on e-cigarettes and emerging tobacco products, with jail and heavy fines
UNB reports that Bangladesh has imposed a complete ban on e-cigarettes, vapes, and other emerging tobacco products as the Smoking and Tobacco Products Use Control (Amendment) Ordinance, 2025 has come into effect.
Jan.04 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Product | Claiming “U.S.-Made E-Liquid” and “80,000 Puffs,” VOOPOO Launches NAVI×Cyph 80K
Product | Claiming “U.S.-Made E-Liquid” and “80,000 Puffs,” VOOPOO Launches NAVI×Cyph 80K
VOOPOO’s website shows the company has introduced the NAVI×Cyph Kit 80K, an open-system, refillable vaping kit claimed to deliver up to 80,000 puffs. The device features a 1,500mAh battery with USB Type-C charging and comes in 12 flavors. A promotional image posted on VOOPOO’s official Instagram account includes the phrase “E-LIQUID BUILT IN THE USA.”
Feb.10 by 2FIRSTS.ai
NJOY and Altria ask federal court to halt ITC proceeding, alleging multiple constitutional defects
NJOY and Altria ask federal court to halt ITC proceeding, alleging multiple constitutional defects
A filing in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia (Richmond Division) shows NJOY and Altria entities submitted a plaintiffs’ reply supporting their motion for summary judgment, arguing the challenged ITC proceeding is unconstitutional on multiple grounds, including ALJ appointment authority, removal protections, and Article III limits under the Jarkesy framework. The plaintiffs seek summary judgment and a permanent injunction barring continuation of the ITC proceeding.
Jan.08 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Consultation opens for Tasmania’s Public Health Amendment Bill 2026
Consultation opens for Tasmania’s Public Health Amendment Bill 2026
Consultation opened on February 6, 2026 for the Public Health Amendment (Prohibited Tobacco and Other Products) Bill 2026. The Bill intends to address illicit trade in tobacco, nicotine pouches and e-cigarettes, which has increased significantly across Tasmania in recent years. It proposes changes to the Public Health Act 1997 to further protect the health of Tasmanians by reducing the sale and supply of illicit tobacco, vaping and other products, and to strengthen existing tobacco control laws.
Feb.06 by 2FIRSTS.ai
KT&G Q4 and Full-Year 2025 Results: Global CC Strongest, NGP Penetration Expands
KT&G Q4 and Full-Year 2025 Results: Global CC Strongest, NGP Penetration Expands
According to KT&G’s official website (Feb 5, 2026), KT&G released its 2025 fourth-quarter and full-year results. Driven by strong growth in its overseas cigarette business and a rebound in its real estate business, the company posted double-digit increases in both revenue and operating profit, reaching record-high performance.
Feb.05 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Philip Morris and BAT’s Nicoventures Win EPO Appeal to Revoke VMR Vape Patent
Philip Morris and BAT’s Nicoventures Win EPO Appeal to Revoke VMR Vape Patent
The EPO Technical Board of Appeal 3.2.02 (T 1319/24) revoked VMR Products LLC’s EP3613453 “VAPORIZER” patent after finding that a 2012 YouTube video of the Innokin iTaste VV (D3) disclosed the claimed electrical contact arrangement. Opponents Nicoventures Trading Ltd (BAT subsidiary) and Philip Morris Products S.A. prevailed.
BATPMI
Feb.17