Potential Ban on Flavored Tobacco Products in Oregon Upheld

Regulations by 2FIRSTS.ai
Dec.18.2023
Potential Ban on Flavored Tobacco Products in Oregon Upheld
Oregon's ban on flavored tobacco products may take effect in January 2024, despite ongoing appeals from the tobacco industry.

A ruling by a circuit judge in Multnomah County, Oregon, this week stated that a ban on the sale of flavored tobacco products may go into effect in January 2024, despite the ongoing appeal by the tobacco industry against a previous decision upholding the ban, which is being heard by the Oregon Court of Appeals.

 

Judge Ben Souede ruled on December 13 that the Oregon Tobacco and E-Cigarette Retailers Association, No Moke Daddy, and Paul Bates have a very low likelihood of winning their appeal and that their appeal lacks factual or legal support. As a result, the ban passed by the Commissioner of Multnomah County in December 2022 can now go into effect.

 

The ruling in Suede is a significant victory for anti-tobacco advocates, who welcome the court's decision.

 

The tobacco industry targets its audience with candy-flavored tobacco products. We commend the judge's decision to protect future generations in Oregon," said Brittany Grant, Regional Director of the Western region for the Smoke-Free Kids movement. "Big tobacco companies know that candy, fruit, and mint-flavored tobacco products can be addictive for children. We appreciate the courageous leadership of policy-makers and community leaders in Sonoma County.

 

We welcome news tips, article submissions, interview requests, or comments on this piece.

Please contact us at info@2firsts.com, or reach out to Alan Zhao, CEO of 2Firsts, on LinkedIn


Notice

1.  This article is intended solely for professional research purposes related to industry, technology, and policy. Any references to brands or products are made purely for objective description and do not constitute any form of endorsement, recommendation, or promotion by 2Firsts.

2.  The use of nicotine-containing products — including, but not limited to, cigarettes, e-cigarettes, nicotine pouchand heated tobacco products — carries significant health risks. Users are responsible for complying with all applicable laws and regulations in their respective jurisdictions.

3.  This article is not intended to serve as the basis for any investment decisions or financial advice. 2Firsts assumes no direct or indirect liability for any inaccuracies or errors in the content.

4.  Access to this article is strictly prohibited for individuals below the legal age in their jurisdiction.

 

Copyright

 

This article is either an original work created by 2Firsts or a reproduction from third-party sources with proper attribution. All copyrights and usage rights belong to 2Firsts or the original content provider. Unauthorized reproduction, distribution, or any other form of unauthorized use by any individual or organization is strictly prohibited. Violators will be held legally accountable.

For copyright-related inquiries, please contact: info@2firsts.com

 

AI Assistance Disclaimer

 

This article may have been enhanced using AI tools to improve translation and editorial efficiency. However, due to technical limitations, inaccuracies may occur. Readers are encouraged to refer to the cited sources for the most accurate information.

We welcome any corrections or feedback. Please contact us at: info@2firsts.com

Reemtsma says German illegal e-cigarette seizures reached 70% of 2025 total, pouches 179%
Reemtsma says German illegal e-cigarette seizures reached 70% of 2025 total, pouches 179%
Reemtsma said its first-half 2026 black-market tracker for tobacco and nicotine products showed a continued rise in officially reported seizures in Germany, with illegal e-cigarette seizures reaching 70% of the full-year 2025 level and snus and nicotine pouch seizures reaching 179% of last year’s total.
Jul.08
Philippine Customs Seizes $2.22 Million in Misdeclared Vape Products From China
Philippine Customs Seizes $2.22 Million in Misdeclared Vape Products From China
The Philippine Bureau of Customs said it intercepted nine containers of misdeclared vape and vape-related products from China at the Manila International Container Port, with an estimated value of about ₱137 millionor, about $2.22 million.
Jul.10
Italian Court Ends Six-Year Cigarette Excise Dispute, Rejecting Damages Claim
Italian Court Ends Six-Year Cigarette Excise Dispute, Rejecting Damages Claim
Italy’s Lazio Regional Administrative Court has dismissed an appeal by Italian Tobacco Manufacturing and Manifattura Italiana Tabacco over the cigarette excise calculation mechanism, upholding the minimum tax burden rules and excluding compensation for smaller tobacco operators.
News
Jun.26 by 2Firsts Perspectives
Michael Olise’s World Cup Locker-Room Photo Puts Nicotine Pouches in the Sports Business Spotlight
Michael Olise’s World Cup Locker-Room Photo Puts Nicotine Pouches in the Sports Business Spotlight
Several European sports outlets have reported on a suspected nicotine pouch seen in French footballer Michael Olise’s locker photo, bringing football’s long-running “snus” culture back into public view and highlighting brand visibility, product classification and public-health debate around nicotine pouches in sports settings.
News
Jun.25 by 2Firsts Perspectives
BP, Marathon and Valero Warn U.S. Gas-Station Stores: Illegal Vape Sales Could Bring Heavy Fines and Card-Processing Limits
BP, Marathon and Valero Warn U.S. Gas-Station Stores: Illegal Vape Sales Could Bring Heavy Fines and Card-Processing Limits
Fiserv and service station operators including BP, Marathon Petroleum and Valero have warned U.S. partners and gas-station convenience-store owners that selling illegal vapes could lead to heavy fines, breach brand agreements and even put stores’ card-processing access at risk, according to Reuters.
Regulations
Jul.07 by 2Firsts Perspectives
2Firsts Exclusive Analysis | RLX Q2 Revenue Rises 14.8%, Company Takes Control of Western European Distributor and Expands Multi-Category Strategy
2Firsts Exclusive Analysis | RLX Q2 Revenue Rises 14.8%, Company Takes Control of Western European Distributor and Expands Multi-Category Strategy
business accounting for 68.5% of sales. A new controlling investment in a Western European distributor and plans to scale modern oral nicotine pouches point to a broader international strategy spanning channels and multiple product categories.
Special Report
Aug.14