Reducing Tobacco-Related Health Threat in Africa

Dec.12.2022
Reducing Tobacco-Related Health Threat in Africa
African governments urged to reduce tobacco-related public health threats through new strategies, according to health experts at conference in Kenya.

African governments have been urged to adopt new strategies to reduce the public health threat caused by tobacco, as it leads to 8 million deaths annually on the continent.


Last week at the second Harm Reduction Conference in Nairobi, Kenya, health experts gathered to declare that tobacco use is one of the greatest public health threats in history.


The expert team includes oncologist Abdoul Kassé from the Senegal Cancer Institute, CEO Tendai Mhizha from Integra Africa, and Vivian Manyeki, Letlape Kgosi, Bernice Apondi, Joseph Magero, Jonathan Fell, Chimwemwe Ngoma and Clive Bates.


Experts reveal that all forms of tobacco are harmful, and smoking is the most common form of tobacco use worldwide.


According to Kase, African governments, industries, and other stakeholders need to balance industry interests with public health.


The use of e-cigarettes, nicotine patches, and gum continues to be a source of confusion in the public health community and media, but there is evidence to suggest that the use of nicotine e-cigarettes and other less harmful products could be a solution.


Mhizha has issued a challenge to the media, urging them to engage with the community, influence behavior change and guide society to use less harmful products as a substitute for tobacco.


Apondi conducted a case study on Kenya, stating that initially reducing harm was a civil society issue, but the government has now begun to get involved.


2FIRSTS will continue to follow this story and provide updates on our mobile app, '2FIRSTSAPP'. Scan the QR code below to download the app.


This document has been generated through artificial intelligence translation and is provided solely for the purposes of industry discourse and learning. Please note that the intellectual property rights of the content belong to the original media source or author. Owing to certain limitations in the translation process, there may be discrepancies between the translated text and the original content. We recommend referring to the original source for complete accuracy. In case of any inaccuracies, we invite you to reach out to us with corrections. If you believe any content has infringed upon your rights, please contact us immediately for its removal.

Indonesian Parliament Reviews Narcotics Law Draft, May Include Vape Ban Proposal
Indonesian Parliament Reviews Narcotics Law Draft, May Include Vape Ban Proposal
According to Beritasatu, Commission III of the Indonesian House of Representatives is reviewing the Draft Law on Narcotics and Psychotropics and considering including a proposal from the National Narcotics Agency (BNN) to ban vapes.
Apr.10 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Virginia Attorney General Backs Vape Enforcement Act Limiting Sales to FDA-Authorized or Pending Products
Virginia Attorney General Backs Vape Enforcement Act Limiting Sales to FDA-Authorized or Pending Products
Virginia Attorney General Jay Jones is backing new vape enforcement legislation that he said would do more than warn people about the dangers of vaping. The proposal would tighten rules on which products can be sold and increase enforcement aimed at keeping vapes out of the hands of young people.
Mar.24 by 2FIRSTS.ai
2Firsts Hosts UK Vape Duty Stamp Compliance Exchange in Shenzhen
2Firsts Hosts UK Vape Duty Stamp Compliance Exchange in Shenzhen
2Firsts held a UK vape duty stamp compliance exchange in Shenzhen on May 14, bringing together representatives from nearly 20 companies. The session addressed Vaping Products Duty, duty stamp applications, UK agency qualifications and warehousing, while introducing 2Firsts Compliance Solutions’ UK service.
Events
May.17
FDA Says It Will Not Take Enforcement Action Against Zone Nicotine Pouches Until Lawsuit Is Resolved
FDA Says It Will Not Take Enforcement Action Against Zone Nicotine Pouches Until Lawsuit Is Resolved
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has told vape manufacturer Fontem US that it does not presently intend to take enforcement action against the company’s Zone nicotine pouches while litigation over the agency’s handling of the application remains unresolved.
Apr.07 by 2FIRSTS.ai
More Than 500 Stores in Russia’s Nizhny Novgorod Region Voluntarily Stop Selling Vapes
More Than 500 Stores in Russia’s Nizhny Novgorod Region Voluntarily Stop Selling Vapes
According to the Nizhny Novgorod regional government, 550 stores in the region have voluntarily removed vapes and e-liquids from their product assortments. Regional officials said a public offer encouraging businesses to self-restrict vape sales has been in place since September 2025, and that a large retail chain with more than 40 outlets in Nizhny Novgorod joined the initiative. The regional government also said a federal ban on vape sales is expected in the near future.
Apr.15 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Seoul to Fine Use of Liquid E-Cigarettes in No-Smoking Areas From April 24
Seoul to Fine Use of Liquid E-Cigarettes in No-Smoking Areas From April 24
Seoul will begin fining the use of all tobacco products, including liquid e-cigarettes, in no-smoking areas from April 24, when the revised Tobacco Business Act takes effect.
Apr.09 by 2FIRSTS.ai