Urgent action for e-cigarette epidemic

Events
Jul.06.2022
A number of Victorian health organisations are calling for urgent action to protect current and future generations from becoming dependent on harmful e-cigarettes and start smoking.

Quit Victoria, VicHealth and Cancer Council Victoria are calling for urgent action to protect current and future generations from becoming dependent on harmful e-cigarettes and start smoking.

 

The Four Corners program on ABC recently showed the extent to which importers and retailers in a multi-billion-dollar industry are breaking the law, by selling e-cigarettes to children.

Urgent action for e-cigarette epidemic

Recently the National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) released a comprehensive evidence review, which concluded that e-cigarette aerosol is harmful to health and that people who use e-cigarettes are highly likely to go on to smoke.

 

“The NHMRC review found that e-cigarettes present very real dangers to children and youth,” said VicHealth Chief Executive Officer Dr Sandro Demaio.

 

“We’re hearing from parents and community leaders, and teens themselves, that vaping is a huge issue for communities around Victoria.

 

“The liquid in e-cigarettes contains dozens of toxic chemicals including formaldehyde, nicotine and heavy metals. These are chemicals that are known to cause cancer and damage the brain and do not belong in our lungs.”

 

Cancer Council Victoria Chief Executive Officer Todd Harper said that surveys conducted by the Cancer Council had shown high levels of community support for measures that protect children from vaping and smoking.

 

“There are serious community concerns right now and strong support for action,” Mr Harper said.

 

“The need for a licensing scheme for cigarette and e-cigarette retailers in Victoria, to simplify and strengthen enforcement of laws, is now critical.

 

“We need the federal government to do more to stop unlawful e-cigarette imports, sure, but we also need to ensure there are consequences for retailers in Victoria who are knowingly doing the wrong thing and illegally selling harmful e-cigarettes to children.

 

“The Victorian Government has the opportunity to introduce a gold-standard licensing scheme and really show the way in Australia.”

 

The content excerpted or reproduced in this article comes from a third-party, and the copyright belongs to the original media and author. If any infringement is found, please contact us to delete it. Any entity or individual wishing to forward the information, please contact the author and refrain from forwarding directly from here.

Cambodian's Phnom Penh Military Police continue crackdown after 300,000-device raid
Cambodian's Phnom Penh Military Police continue crackdown after 300,000-device raid
Phnom Penh Military Police said they have continued cracking down on locations selling electronic devices used for smoking chemicals, following a major raid last week that confiscated 300,000 electronic smoking devices.
Jan.20 by 2FIRSTS.ai
South Korea’s appeal court again sides with KT&G, Philip Morris Korea and BAT Korea in $36.24 million case
South Korea’s appeal court again sides with KT&G, Philip Morris Korea and BAT Korea in $36.24 million case
South Korea’s National Health Insurance Service (NHIS) has again lost on appeal in its damages lawsuit against KT&G, Philip Morris Korea and BAT Korea, seeking ₩53.3 billion (about $36.244 million).
Jan.15 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Kentucky to issue provisional state licenses to tobacco, nicotine and vapor retailers who applied before Jan. 1, 2026
Kentucky to issue provisional state licenses to tobacco, nicotine and vapor retailers who applied before Jan. 1, 2026
Kentucky will issue provisional state licenses to tobacco, nicotine and vapor product retailers that applied for a license with the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) before Jan. 1, 2026.
Dec.31 by 2FIRSTS.ai
France’s Top Administrative Court Suspends Nicotine Pouch Decree
France’s Top Administrative Court Suspends Nicotine Pouch Decree
France’s Council of State has suspended a government decree that was set to ban the manufacture, production and export of nicotine pouches from April 2026. The court ruled that companies were not given sufficient time to reorganise their operations. A final decision on the legality of the decree is expected by June 2026. The court noted that the commercial sale of nicotine pouches is already restricted under existing public health laws.
Dec.23 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Denver’s Flavored Tobacco Ban Faces Constitutional Challenge From Vape Trade Group
Denver’s Flavored Tobacco Ban Faces Constitutional Challenge From Vape Trade Group
A Colorado vape industry trade group says Denver’s voter-approved flavored tobacco sales ban is unconstitutional and too vague to enforce. The group is asking a state court for a permanent injunction blocking enforcement of Ordinance 24-1765 and for a declaration allowing flavored tobacco and vape sales, citing state constitutional vagueness concerns and multiple U.S. constitutional issues.
Jan.27 by 2FIRSTS.ai
California DOJ publishes first-ever Unflavored Tobacco List; products not on the list are ineligible for sale
California DOJ publishes first-ever Unflavored Tobacco List; products not on the list are ineligible for sale
California Attorney General Rob Bonta announced the publication of the first-ever Unflavored Tobacco List (UTL), listing unflavored tobacco products lawful for sale under California’s flavored tobacco restrictions. Any covered tobacco product not appearing on the UTL is deemed a flavored tobacco product and ineligible for sale.
Jan.04 by 2FIRSTS.ai