Wellington City Council Bans Smoking on Own Land to Support Smoke-free New Zealand 2025

Dec.02.2022
Wellington City Council Bans Smoking on Own Land to Support Smoke-free New Zealand 2025
Wellington City Council bans smoking and vaping on its owned outdoor spaces to support a smoke-free NZ by 2025.

Wellington City Council has banned smoking and vaping on land owned by the council outside of reception areas in support of New Zealand becoming smoke-free by 2025.


Starting in March 2023, smoking and the use of electronic cigarettes will be prohibited in all outdoor dining areas located on Parliament-owned land. This includes the newly added "parklets" on Dixon Street, which allow restaurants to extend their dining area using Parliament-owned land.


The ban will be added to the list of smoke-free areas in the city, which includes beaches, amusement parks, bus stops, and sports fields.


The ban will not apply to private land, such as balconies, backyard dining areas, rooftops, or outdoor dining areas that are not on parliamentary property.


Helen Jones, manager of the public health committee of the city council, stated that this change reflects Wellington's contribution to national sports.


Our approach has always been to actively encourage smoke-free and e-cigarette-free zones rather than punishing those who smoke or use e-cigarettes. We will continue to take an educational approach and promote the benefits of smoke-free and e-cigarette-free environments for health, society, and the environment.


The change was originally scheduled to take effect in July 2022, but due to ongoing recovery from the aftermath of Covid-19, the committee has decided to postpone the implementation of this change to March 1, 2023.


2FIRSTS will continue to report on this issue and updates will be available on the "2FIRSTS APP." Scan the QR code below to download the app.


This document has been generated through artificial intelligence translation and is provided solely for the purposes of industry discourse and learning. Please note that the intellectual property rights of the content belong to the original media source or author. Owing to certain limitations in the translation process, there may be discrepancies between the translated text and the original content. We recommend referring to the original source for complete accuracy. In case of any inaccuracies, we invite you to reach out to us with corrections. If you believe any content has infringed upon your rights, please contact us immediately for its removal.

Estonia warns of a booming illicit vape market, raising risks for minors and legitimate trade
Estonia warns of a booming illicit vape market, raising risks for minors and legitimate trade
Estonia’s Chamber of Commerce and Industry and the Tax and Customs Board are urging the government to address a thriving illicit vape market that undermines fair competition and makes vapes easily accessible to minors.
Feb.04 by 2FIRSTS.ai
KT&G says lil reached about US$2.924 billion in cumulative sales and is expanding overseas
KT&G says lil reached about US$2.924 billion in cumulative sales and is expanding overseas
KT&G said its HNB brand lil has grown since launch, reporting KRW 7.8 billion (about US$5.304 million) in sales in 2017 and about KRW 4.3 trillion (about US$2.924 billion) in cumulative sales by last year’s third quarter, with KRW 5 trillion (about US$3.400 billion) described as within reach. KT&G said lil has entered more than 30 countries and supplies some products abroad via a partnership with PMI.
Jan.13 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Nicotine pouch brand SNÜ launches three fruit flavours, keeps “rub-and-smell” label to reduce retail shrink
Nicotine pouch brand SNÜ launches three fruit flavours, keeps “rub-and-smell” label to reduce retail shrink
UK nicotine pouch brand SNÜ has added three new flavours—Wild Cherry, Cherry Cola and Tropical Punch—spanning multiple nicotine strengths from 9mg to 60mg. The new products also retain the brand’s “rub-and-smell” packaging feature, designed to let shoppers preview the aroma without opening the can and help lower in-store product loss.
Feb.02 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Kansas, U.S.: Attorney General issues alert on China-made “smart vapes” targeting children
Kansas, U.S.: Attorney General issues alert on China-made “smart vapes” targeting children
On Jan. 10, Kansas Attorney General Kris Kobach issued a consumer alert warning Kansans about dangerous vaping products from China marketed as “smart vapes.” The alert says these devices let children use games, social media, Bluetooth, music and more while simultaneously inhaling unregulated materials, and describes them as designed to entice teens and conceal their nature from parents.
Jan.12 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Multi-agency crackdown targets vape and convenience stores across Wirral, seizing illegal cigarettes and non-compliant pods
Multi-agency crackdown targets vape and convenience stores across Wirral, seizing illegal cigarettes and non-compliant pods
A multi-agency, intelligence-led enforcement operation took place on January 27, 2026, targeting vape and convenience stores across Wirral, including West Kirby, to disrupt the supply of illegal tobacco and vaping products. Six premises were inspected, with approximately 10,500 illegal cigarettes seized along with vape pods that were not in original packaging or did not meet UK regulatory requirements.
Feb.05 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Federal Register notice: FDA seeks comments on “Warning Plans for Certain Tobacco Products”
Federal Register notice: FDA seeks comments on “Warning Plans for Certain Tobacco Products”
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued a notice stating it has submitted a proposed information collection to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for review under the Paperwork Reduction Act.
Jan.16 by 2FIRSTS.ai