Cambodia’s Ministry of Education Issues Vape Restrictions

Regulations
Jul.01.2022
Concerned over increasing rates of teen vaping, Cambodia’s Ministry of Education has just issued strict guidelines so as to prevent the sale and use of electronic nicotine delivery devices in public and private educational institutions.

Issued by Minister Hang Chuon Naron, the ministry’s directive aims to prevent the use of vaping and heated tobacco products, based on claims that the devices are dangerous to people’s health and pose risks to cardiovascular and respiratory health and also have long-term negative impacts on the brain of developing teens.

 

Cambodia’s Ministry of Education Issues Vape Restrictions

 

The new guidelines ban the use, distribution and advertising of these products on school grounds and surrounding areas, and the Ministry is urging all relevant educational units to collaborate with students’ parents, guardians, educators and students in order to identify and report any e-cigarette sales and distribution sites.

Spokesperson for the Ministry of Health Ly Sovann, said that e-cigarettes are toxic and highly addictive. “The Ministry of Health has banned the import and use of such products such as hookah pipes and e-cigarettes in Cambodia,” he said. Sadly, the relative benefits of the products as safer alternatives to cigarettes and smoking cessation tools are being completely disregarded.

 

Local tobacco warnings

 

Meanwhile, in December 2020 Cambodia’s health ministry asked tobacco companies to change the existing health warnings to new ones determined by the ministry, which did not happen. In July 2021, the ministry reiterated that this standard must be enforced.

The Cambodia Movement for Health (CMH) explained that the Ministry of Health had stated that the warnings should be changed every two years. In line with this, tobacco companies were meant to change the health warning labels in December 2020, which did not happen.

To this effect, last year the CMH reiterated that all cigarette packs must carry the new text and pictures as determined by the ministry, as of August 2021. “If the picture isn’t changed, the effectiveness of the health warning will be reduced because people have become accustomed to the same picture. So, the Ministry of Health decided that the health warning must be changed every two years,” said the CMH.

Special Report|Russia scales back anti-vaping drive, limits ban to single-region trial
Special Report|Russia scales back anti-vaping drive, limits ban to single-region trial
After months of debate, Russian lawmakers have retreated from plans for a nationwide vaping ban, opting instead for a single-region pilot. The shift reflects pressure from business groups and fiscal authorities, amid warnings that sweeping prohibitions could fuel illegal trade while undermining efforts to regulate the market.
Jan.22
U.S. FDA Posts Final ZYN MRTP Materials, Sets March 4 Deadline for Public Comments
U.S. FDA Posts Final ZYN MRTP Materials, Sets March 4 Deadline for Public Comments
U.S. FDA has released the final batch of materials for ZYN MRTP applications and set March 4 (11:59 p.m. ET) as the deadline for public comments to be considered in the agency’s review.
Feb.03 by 2FIRSTS.ai
China’s Tobacco Regulator Moves to Introduce Credit Management Framework for E-Cigarette Manufacturers, Greater Transparency May Improve International Assessability of China’s Supply Chain
China’s Tobacco Regulator Moves to Introduce Credit Management Framework for E-Cigarette Manufacturers, Greater Transparency May Improve International Assessability of China’s Supply Chain
China’s tobacco regulator has moved to introduce a credit management framework for e-cigarette manufacturers, outlining a system that links compliance records to regulatory oversight. The proposal forms part of a broader push to institutionalize supervision and improve transparency across China’s e-cigarette supply chain.
Jan.05
DTI drafts administrative order proposing an open-pod and e-liquid ban and opens it for public consultation
DTI drafts administrative order proposing an open-pod and e-liquid ban and opens it for public consultation
Department of Trade and Industry’s (DTI) proposed move to restrict harmful vape products to protect young people, but said only a total ban on all vaping and novel tobacco products would effectively safeguard public health. The group warned that limiting rules to certain products such as open pods and e-liquids could create a “dangerous behavioral loophole,” leading users—especially youth—to switch to disposable or closed-system alternatives instead of quitting.
Feb.10 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Ireland’s HSE finds over a fifth of vape shops tested still selling to children despite under-18 ban
Ireland’s HSE finds over a fifth of vape shops tested still selling to children despite under-18 ban
Ireland’s Health Service Executive (HSE) data show that more than a fifth of vape shops tested were still selling nicotine-inhaling vaping products to children, despite a ban on sales to under-18s that took effect on December 22, 2023.
Jan.05 by 2FIRSTS.ai
IQOS Partners with Mexico’s Zamna Festival; PMI Says Adult User Base Tops 140,000
IQOS Partners with Mexico’s Zamna Festival; PMI Says Adult User Base Tops 140,000
Philip Morris International (PMI) said IQOS, via its “IQOS Curious X” platform, has entered a global partnership with the Zamna music festival in Tulum, Mexico, with the collaboration making its on-site debut during Zamna 2026 and targeting adult nicotine users. PMI said IQOS has more than 34 million users worldwide, while the number of adult consumers in Mexico has surpassed 140,000.
Jan.15 by 2FIRSTS.ai