Illegal Disposable Vapes Still Sold in Nottingham Six Months After UK Ban: LBC Investigation

Dec.03.2025
Illegal Disposable Vapes Still Sold in Nottingham Six Months After UK Ban: LBC Investigation
According to LBC, a follow-up investigation in Nottingham found that four out of 14 shops visited still sold illegal disposable vapes, six months after the UK Government’s ban took effect. Although fewer retailers appeared to be offering banned products compared with an earlier visit, illegal vapes remain available despite ongoing enforcement efforts.

Key Points

 

  • LBC found illegal disposable vapes in 4 of 14 Nottingham shops.
  • Earlier investigation identified banned products in all 5 shops visited.
  • Government ban targets youth vaping and plastic waste from disposables.
  • Some retailers still sold illegal devices and did not check customer ID.
  • Authorities say enforcement is ongoing and violations carry severe penalties.

 


 

2Firsts, January 3, 2025 — According to LBC, a reporter revisited Nottingham six months after the UK’s ban on disposable vapes came into force and was able to buy four illegal devices from 14 shops. The previous visit, conducted the day after the ban began, found illegal vapes in all five shops visited.

 

The investigation suggests a decline in the number of retailers selling banned products, though illegal items remain accessible. The Government introduced the ban to address rising youth vaping and concerns that colourful, confectionery-style disposables were appealing to school-aged children. Ministers also noted the environmental impact, citing significant plastic waste from single-use devices.

 

Despite the ban, some retailers were still offering prohibited products. In one convenience store, the reporter bought a “Banana Ice” Crystal disposable vape for £3.50 without being asked for ID. Another store offered an upgrade to a 4,000-puff device, which had already been illegal due to excessive nicotine content.

 

Ten of the 14 shops visited were selling only compliant, refillable or rechargeable devices.

 

A Government spokesperson told LBC that violations could lead to unlimited fines or imprisonment and said the authorities were working with Trading Standards to enforce the ban. Nottingham City Council added that reports of illegal sales would be investigated, with enforcement actions taken where needed.

We welcome news tips, article submissions, interview requests, or comments on this piece.

Please contact us at info@2firsts.com, or reach out to Alan Zhao, CEO of 2Firsts, on LinkedIn


Notice

1.  This article is intended solely for professional research purposes related to industry, technology, and policy. Any references to brands or products are made purely for objective description and do not constitute any form of endorsement, recommendation, or promotion by 2Firsts.

2.  The use of nicotine-containing products — including, but not limited to, cigarettes, e-cigarettes, nicotine pouchand heated tobacco products — carries significant health risks. Users are responsible for complying with all applicable laws and regulations in their respective jurisdictions.

3.  This article is not intended to serve as the basis for any investment decisions or financial advice. 2Firsts assumes no direct or indirect liability for any inaccuracies or errors in the content.

4.  Access to this article is strictly prohibited for individuals below the legal age in their jurisdiction.

 

Copyright

 

This article is either an original work created by 2Firsts or a reproduction from third-party sources with proper attribution. All copyrights and usage rights belong to 2Firsts or the original content provider. Unauthorized reproduction, distribution, or any other form of unauthorized use by any individual or organization is strictly prohibited. Violators will be held legally accountable.

For copyright-related inquiries, please contact: info@2firsts.com

 

AI Assistance Disclaimer

 

This article may have been enhanced using AI tools to improve translation and editorial efficiency. However, due to technical limitations, inaccuracies may occur. Readers are encouraged to refer to the cited sources for the most accurate information.

We welcome any corrections or feedback. Please contact us at: info@2firsts.com

China’s HTP Exports Fell 14.3% in H1 2026 as Russia and Belarus Accounted for 76% Lead
China’s HTP Exports Fell 14.3% in H1 2026 as Russia and Belarus Accounted for 76% Lead
In H1 2026, China’s HS 24041100 exports stood at $1.32 million, down 14.3% YoY, with volume falling 17.2% to 55.33 tons. Market distribution shifted drastically amid overall export drops. Exports to Russia and Belarus totaled $1 million, taking 76.0% of all shipments versus 29.5% in H1 2025. Belarus became the top destination with export value jumping 177.5%, while the Philippines, Singapore and Indonesia’s combined share slumped from 49.3% to 11.2%.Domestically, Yunnan led exporter registrations; Jiangsu and Shanghai were key suppliers, yet Anhui and Sichuan had no exports. Heavy concentration means order or declaration changes for Russia/Belarus greatly affect national aggregate data. The data shows customs entry points (not end markets), covering tobacco consumables only, excluding heating equipment and the complete HTP supply chain.
Aug.11
FDA Grants MRTP Orders for 20 ZYN Nicotine Pouches
FDA Grants MRTP Orders for 20 ZYN Nicotine Pouches
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued modified risk granted orders to Swedish Match USA for 20 ZYN nicotine pouch products, allowing the already-authorized products to be marketed with a specific claim that using ZYN instead of cigarettes lowers the risk of mouth cancer, heart disease, lung cancer, stroke, emphysema and chronic bronchitis.
Jul.01
Product | BAT Launches glo Hyper pro+ in Japan, Upgrading the Hyper Platform With Faster Start and Smart Device Management
Product | BAT Launches glo Hyper pro+ in Japan, Upgrading the Hyper Platform With Faster Start and Smart Device Management
British American Tobacco Japan (BAT Japan) has introduced glo Hyper pro+, an upgraded device within the existing glo Hyper platform. The device adds QuickStart™ rapid heating technology, an EasyView™ display and maintenance notification features to improve daily usability. Launched in Japan on July 13, 2026, glo Hyper pro+ maintains compatibility with existing Hyper-format tobacco sticks, including neo, Lucky Strike and KENT.
Jul.30
BP, Marathon and Valero Warn U.S. Gas-Station Stores: Illegal Vape Sales Could Bring Heavy Fines and Card-Processing Limits
BP, Marathon and Valero Warn U.S. Gas-Station Stores: Illegal Vape Sales Could Bring Heavy Fines and Card-Processing Limits
Fiserv and service station operators including BP, Marathon Petroleum and Valero have warned U.S. partners and gas-station convenience-store owners that selling illegal vapes could lead to heavy fines, breach brand agreements and even put stores’ card-processing access at risk, according to Reuters.
Regulations
Jul.07 by 2Firsts Perspectives
PMI Expands IQOS and VEEV Presence at Frankfurt Airport Through Travel Retail Pop-Ups
PMI Expands IQOS and VEEV Presence at Frankfurt Airport Through Travel Retail Pop-Ups
According to The Moodie Davitt Report, PMI Global Travel Retail and Frankfurt Airport Retail have launched new IQOS and VEEV retail spaces at Frankfurt Airport. The installations, located inside and outside duty-free areas, showcase IQOS heated tobacco products and VEEV e-vapor products through product education, consumer interaction and brand experiences. Frankfurt Airport Retail, operated by Fraport Group and Gebr. Heinemann, manages key retail activities at Frankfurt Airport. The initiative follows PMI’s broader strategy of expanding smoke-free products through global travel retail channels. PMI has previously introduced VEEV products across multiple European airports while continuing to expand IQOS and VEEV availability in international markets.
Jul.17
EU Tobacco Rules Face Pushback as Analysis Says 90% of Consultation Responses Raised Objections
EU Tobacco Rules Face Pushback as Analysis Says 90% of Consultation Responses Raised Objections
An analysis by We Are Innovation says more than 90% of over 82,000 responses to the European Commission’s public consultation on the Tobacco Products Directive revision raised at least one substantial objection to the proposed regulatory direction.
Jul.13