Juul's PMTA Application Faces Pressure from Health Groups

Aug.03.2022
Juul's PMTA Application Faces Pressure from Health Groups
FDA's pressure on Juul prompts appeal, but customers are turning to alternative brands.

For several months now, various health and anti-vaping groups have been pressuring the FDA to reject any PMTA applications from Juul. In fact, earlier this year, several groups jointly wrote to the FDA urging it to take action on Juul's PMTA and reject any applications for flavored e-cigarette products.


Last month, the FDA issued a marketing denial order (MDO) to Juul, which applies to all their products currently sold in the United States, and will force the manufacturer to completely exit the US market. "We recognize that many products have played a role in the surge of youth e-cigarette use," said FDA Commissioner Robert M. Califf.


However, in response, Juul immediately filed an emergency motion to the federal appeals court, requesting the court take a stand against the FDA's "unconventional and unlawful actions." A panel of three judges from the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit ruled in favor of Juul, allowing the product to remain on the market temporarily.


The FDA has responded by temporarily suspending its decision in order to conduct further review. "The FDA is reviewing its marketing denial order to JUUL because, through reviewing briefs filed in litigation, the agency determined that unique scientific issues exist that require additional review," a spokesperson for the FDA told Filter. He added that "the cessation does not change the fact that Juul's product does not have marketing authorization and [the company] cannot legally market, ship or sell their product.


Meanwhile, retailers of electronic cigarettes report that customers have started to shift towards alternative brands. Will Montgomery, a sales representative for Aj's Liquor, emphasized that even if the ban on Juul is implemented, sales of electronic cigarettes will not be affected as consumers will simply switch to different brands. "People still need nicotine," he said.


The ban has prompted consumers to turn to other products or sources.


Ted Egan, chief economist of San Francisco, confirmed that the infamous flavor ban in 2020 only led to increased smoking rates. This supported the argument that the ban could have negative economic impacts.


In a revealing interview published in the San Francisco Chronicle on May 15, Igna explained that the ban would not have an impact on the city's economy, as the money spent on e-cigarette products would still be spent on other nicotine products in the city, such as traditional cigarettes. He went on to explain that consumers would switch products based on availability.


This article is compiled from third-party information for the purpose of industry discussion and learning.


This article does not represent the views of 2FIRSTS and 2FIRSTS is unable to confirm the authenticity and accuracy of the content. The translation of this article is only meant for industry professionals to exchange and study.


Due to limitations in our compilation abilities, the translated article may not fully convey the original message. Please refer to the original article for accuracy.


In regards to any domestic, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, or foreign related statements and positions, 2FIRSTS remains fully aligned with the Chinese government.


The copyright of the compiled information belongs to the original media and author. If there is any infringement, please contact us for deletion.


This document has been generated through artificial intelligence translation and is provided solely for the purposes of industry discourse and learning. Please note that the intellectual property rights of the content belong to the original media source or author. Owing to certain limitations in the translation process, there may be discrepancies between the translated text and the original content. We recommend referring to the original source for complete accuracy. In case of any inaccuracies, we invite you to reach out to us with corrections. If you believe any content has infringed upon your rights, please contact us immediately for its removal.

UK vape firm Plxsur sold for £76,500 after touting $1 billion revenue target
UK vape firm Plxsur sold for £76,500 after touting $1 billion revenue target
London-based vaping company Plxsur, which had claimed in fundraising materials it could reach $1 billion in annual revenue and capture about 10% of the global vaping market, has been sold out of administration for £76,500. Administrators said the figures were aspirational and depended on acquisitions that were never completed, as the company later ran out of cash and entered insolvency, with a shareholder ultimately buying the business.
Jan.22 by 2FIRSTS.ai
2Firsts Observation | Element Vape Launches “Made in USA” Section as Product Pages Show “Assembled in USA” and “Made in USA” Labels
2Firsts Observation | Element Vape Launches “Made in USA” Section as Product Pages Show “Assembled in USA” and “Made in USA” Labels
Element Vape, a U.S. online vaping retailer, uses origin labels such as “Made in USA” and “Assembled in USA” across disposable vape product pages and a dedicated collection page, grouping items under “Made in USA Disposable Vapes,” but the platform does not disclose on its public pages the applicable standards or evidentiary basis for these different claims.
Jan.20 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Kansas, U.S.: Attorney General issues alert on China-made “smart vapes” targeting children
Kansas, U.S.: Attorney General issues alert on China-made “smart vapes” targeting children
On Jan. 10, Kansas Attorney General Kris Kobach issued a consumer alert warning Kansans about dangerous vaping products from China marketed as “smart vapes.” The alert says these devices let children use games, social media, Bluetooth, music and more while simultaneously inhaling unregulated materials, and describes them as designed to entice teens and conceal their nature from parents.
Jan.12 by 2FIRSTS.ai
After Export Tax Rebates Go to Zero: How China’s E-Cigarette Supply Chain Is Being Reshaped, According to 2Firsts Research
After Export Tax Rebates Go to Zero: How China’s E-Cigarette Supply Chain Is Being Reshaped, According to 2Firsts Research
China’s e-cigarette industry is adjusting to a major policy shift. From April 1, 2026, China will scrap the 13% export VAT rebate on e-cigarette products, a move affecting manufacturers centered in Shenzhen. Industry participants told 2Firsts the change is forcing a reassessment of pricing and capacity, with competition shifting toward cash flow resilience, regulatory compliance, and multi-location strategies.
Industry Insight
Jan.16
Malaysian police raids across five states: 51 held and over RM1 million in vapes seized
Malaysian police raids across five states: 51 held and over RM1 million in vapes seized
Police in Malaysia detained 51 individuals and seized over RM1 million worth of electronic cigarettes and liquid refills in a five-state operation dubbed “Op E-CIG,” conducted by the GOF Central Brigade on February 10. The report said the operation involved 30 raids across Kuala Lumpur, Johor, Melaka, Selangor and Negeri Sembilan. Authorities seized 2,263 vape units and 165.463 litres of liquid.
Feb.12 by 2FIRSTS.ai
BAT rolls out VELO nicotine pouches in Argentina as social media buzzes about ZYN distribution
BAT rolls out VELO nicotine pouches in Argentina as social media buzzes about ZYN distribution
BAT Argentina says it has launched VELO nicotine pouches in Argentina, positioning the product as an adult alternative that contains no tobacco and involves no combustion. At the same time, social media discussion and media reporting indicate that Philip Morris International’s ZYN nicotine pouches are also being distributed through Argentine channels.
Jan.12 by 2FIRSTS.ai