NYC Mayor Eric Adams Launches Operation Padlock to Protect City

Regulations by 2FIRSTS.ai
May.08.2024
NYC Mayor Eric Adams Launches Operation Padlock to Protect City
NYC Mayor Eric Adams launches Operation Padlock to Protect, shutting down unauthorized tobacco and marijuana shops in five boroughs.

According to Fox5ny on May 7th, Mayor Eric Adams of New York City announced on Tuesday the launch of a project called "Operation Padlock to Protect," which will close all unauthorized tobacco and marijuana stores in five boroughs of the city. This move comes after the state government granted new powers to local governments in the new state budget.

 

The Adams administration has made it clear that any businesses operating illegally will quickly face legal consequences. This measure aims to protect the city's children, improve quality of life, and promote the safe prosperity of the legal marijuana market.

 

Thanks to Governor Kathy Hochul and our collaboration with the state legislature, each neighborhood in New York City is now using the law to protect our streets. Legal cannabis remains the right choice for our city, but for those who choose to break the law, we will shut down your shop.

 

According to a press release, the city government has filed lawsuits against 15 e-cigarette retailers and convenience stores from last summer to last month. The Mayor's Office stated that the "Lock It Up" initiative will be rapidly implemented in the coming weeks.

 

We welcome news tips, article submissions, interview requests, or comments on this piece.

Please contact us at info@2firsts.com, or reach out to Alan Zhao, CEO of 2Firsts, on LinkedIn


Notice

1.  This article is intended solely for professional research purposes related to industry, technology, and policy. Any references to brands or products are made purely for objective description and do not constitute any form of endorsement, recommendation, or promotion by 2Firsts.

2.  The use of nicotine-containing products — including, but not limited to, cigarettes, e-cigarettes, nicotine pouchand heated tobacco products — carries significant health risks. Users are responsible for complying with all applicable laws and regulations in their respective jurisdictions.

3.  This article is not intended to serve as the basis for any investment decisions or financial advice. 2Firsts assumes no direct or indirect liability for any inaccuracies or errors in the content.

4.  Access to this article is strictly prohibited for individuals below the legal age in their jurisdiction.

 

Copyright

 

This article is either an original work created by 2Firsts or a reproduction from third-party sources with proper attribution. All copyrights and usage rights belong to 2Firsts or the original content provider. Unauthorized reproduction, distribution, or any other form of unauthorized use by any individual or organization is strictly prohibited. Violators will be held legally accountable.

For copyright-related inquiries, please contact: info@2firsts.com

 

AI Assistance Disclaimer

 

This article may have been enhanced using AI tools to improve translation and editorial efficiency. However, due to technical limitations, inaccuracies may occur. Readers are encouraged to refer to the cited sources for the most accurate information.

We welcome any corrections or feedback. Please contact us at: info@2firsts.com

BAT Regional Director Fred Monteiro Supports Spain’s Nicotine Rules but Opposes 0.99mg Nicotine Pouch Limit
BAT Regional Director Fred Monteiro Supports Spain’s Nicotine Rules but Opposes 0.99mg Nicotine Pouch Limit
Spanish newspaper El Confidencial interviewed Fred Monteiro, Regional Director for Americas and Europe at British American Tobacco (BAT). Monteiro said BAT supports setting regulatory limits for nicotine products but opposes Spain’s proposed 0.99mg nicotine-per-pouch limit, arguing that such a restriction could affect adult smokers’ transition to alternatives. He said nicotine regulation should be based on scientific evidence and harm reduction principles. Monteiro also said smoke-free products now account for around 25% of BAT’s Americas and Europe business and nearly 30% of its Europe business
BAT
Jul.30
Argentina Updates Health Warning Rules to Include Vapes and Nicotine Pouches
Argentina Updates Health Warning Rules to Include Vapes and Nicotine Pouches
Argentina’s Ministry of Health has updated its health warning rules for tobacco and nicotine products, adding e-cigarettes, vapes, heated tobacco products, sticks and nicotine pouches to mandatory warning requirements.
Jul.08
 Arizona Rules Extend Across Alternative Nicotine Supply Chain, With Licensing From 2028
Arizona Rules Extend Across Alternative Nicotine Supply Chain, With Licensing From 2028
Arizona Governor Katie Hobbs has signed HB 4001, bringing alternative nicotine products under a new state regulatory framework that will require maker and distributor licensing from 2028 and ban packaging designs that could appeal to minors.
Regulations
Jun.23
BAT UK Director Tolga Kilic Says Illicit Nicotine Market Squeezes Legal Retailers Amid Rising Compliance Costs
BAT UK Director Tolga Kilic Says Illicit Nicotine Market Squeezes Legal Retailers Amid Rising Compliance Costs
UK retail publication Grocery Trader has published a viewpoint article from Tolga Kilic, Commercial Director for BAT UK & Ireland, discussing the impact of illicit nicotine products on legitimate retail channels. Kilic said illegal vapes and other illicit nicotine products create competitive pressure for compliant retailers and called for stronger market controls and supply-chain oversight. The comments come as the UK advances policies including the disposable vape ban and Vaping Products Duty, creating a more complex operating environment for legal vape retailers.
Jul.28
UK Sets Oct. 29 Start for New Vape Retail Rules Covering Age Checks, Giveaways and Discounts
UK Sets Oct. 29 Start for New Vape Retail Rules Covering Age Checks, Giveaways and Discounts
The UK Department of Health and Social Care published new guidance on Aug. 11 outlining the next phase of retail rules under the Tobacco and Vapes Act 2026, which will take effect on Oct. 29, 2026. The measures extend the minimum age of sale of 18 to all vaping and consumer nicotine products and restrict proxy purchasing, promotional giveaways and substantial discounts. Relevant offences in England, Wales and Scotland may carry a £200 fixed penalty notice, while persistent offenders can face temporary sales bans.
Aug.12
Ireland’s Vape Tax Raises €22 Million in Nine Months as Government Considers 2027 Budget Changes
Ireland’s Vape Tax Raises €22 Million in Nine Months as Government Considers 2027 Budget Changes
According to Irish media outlets Highland Radio and BreakingNews.ie, the Irish government is considering whether to adjust vape tax policy in the 2027 Budget. The tax has generated about €22 million ($24 million) in revenue during its first nine months. While no increase has been confirmed, the revenue performance could influence future fiscal discussions. Any tax rise could increase product costs and potentially affect retail prices.
Aug.12