Tobacco Firms Settle Messaging Dispute

Events
Jul.18.2022

Several tobacco companies have reached an agreement in long-running litigation brought by the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) and certain public health organizations regarding the communication of tobacco-related messaging at retail locations.

Tobacco Firms Settle Messaging Dispute

 

The agreement will require Altria, Philip Morris USA, R.J. Reynolds Tobacco and ITG Brands to supply their contracted stores with court-ordered signs that must be posted for 21 months.

 

The agreement covers the last remaining dispute from the lawsuit DOJ filed against Altria, Philip Morris USA and R..J Reynolds in the 1990s, according to the National Association of Convenience Stores (NACS).

 

“This litigation has always put the retailers in a uniquely bad position,” said Doug Kantor, NACS general counsel. “Retailers were not parties to the lawsuit and should not be burdened with a court-ordered remedy, but this negotiated outcome avoids even worse results that DOJ and public health groups were advocating.”

 

The agreement provides that each store under contract with one of the manufacturers will have to post at least one sign carrying one of 17 different, pre-approved health messages that will be distributed at random to retailers around the country.

 

Each store will be required to rotate to a new message halfway through the time period required in the agreement. The manufacturers will be required to hire auditors to check whether the signs are properly posted. A summary of the agreement explaining the requirements on retailers as well as answers to frequently asked questions about it can be found here.

 

A hearing on the proposed agreement will be held in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia on July 28 and 29. The court will then decide whether to accept the agreement and enter an order to implement it.

 

The timing of the requirements for signs to be posted will depend on when the court decides whether to accept the agreement.

 

The content excerpted or reproduced in this article comes from a third-party, and the copyright belongs to the original media and author. If any infringement is found, please contact us to delete it. Any entity or individual wishing to forward the information, please contact the author and refrain from forwarding directly from here.

Philip Morris Ukraine Says It Will Invest Another USD 10.00 Million in ZYN Nicotine Pouches This Year
Philip Morris Ukraine Says It Will Invest Another USD 10.00 Million in ZYN Nicotine Pouches This Year
Philip Morris said that after investing USD 5.00 million last year to promote its ZYN nicotine pouch brand in Ukraine, it plans to invest another USD 10.00 million this year to develop the nicotine pouch category and launch a new ZYN line.
Apr.08 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Indonesian Parliament Reviews Narcotics Law Draft, May Include Vape Ban Proposal
Indonesian Parliament Reviews Narcotics Law Draft, May Include Vape Ban Proposal
According to Beritasatu, Commission III of the Indonesian House of Representatives is reviewing the Draft Law on Narcotics and Psychotropics and considering including a proposal from the National Narcotics Agency (BNN) to ban vapes.
Apr.10 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Cambodia Moves to Draft New Tobacco Control Strategy Targeting Illicit Products and E-Cigarette Spread
Cambodia Moves to Draft New Tobacco Control Strategy Targeting Illicit Products and E-Cigarette Spread
Cambodian Health Minister Cheang Ra has called for the development of a tobacco control strategy for 2027–2031, with the goal of reducing tobacco use by 30% by 2030. The directive was issued during a Tobacco Product Control Committee meeting in Phnom Penh. Priority areas include reducing tobacco use, protecting the public from secondhand smoke, tackling illegal and counterfeit tobacco products, and preventing the spread of e-cigarettes.
Apr.29 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Ukrainian Committee Chair Says Nicotine Pouches Should Be Fully Banned for Sale to Minors
Ukrainian Committee Chair Says Nicotine Pouches Should Be Fully Banned for Sale to Minors
Mykhailo Radutskyi, chair of the Verkhovna Rada Committee on National Health, Medical Assistance and Medical Insurance, said nicotine pouches should be fully banned for sale to minors and their advertising should be restricted.
Apr.07 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Exclusive|Logistics Operators Warn of Possible New U.S. Border Crackdown on Illicit Vapes
Exclusive|Logistics Operators Warn of Possible New U.S. Border Crackdown on Illicit Vapes
Recent inspections and cargo disruption have led some logistics operators in the China-U.S. vape trade to see early signs of another U.S. border crackdown on illicit e-cigarettes. With late April to early May viewed as a key risk window, the market is watching closely. The bigger question is not only whether enforcement will tighten, but whether it can be sustained.
Special Report
Apr.09
Austria to Tighten Sales Rules for Nicotine Pouches and E-Liquids From April 1
Austria to Tighten Sales Rules for Nicotine Pouches and E-Liquids From April 1
Austria will introduce new sales rules for nicotine products from April 1, 2026. Under a reform of the tobacco law passed in December 2025, nicotine pouches will in future be sold only through tobacco shops, while e-liquids will be sold only through tobacco shops and licensed specialist stores. Other points of sale will no longer be permitted to sell these products.
Mar.30 by 2FIRSTS.ai