Federal Judge Allows Collective Lawsuit Against Juul Marketing

Jun.30.2022
Federal Judge Allows Collective Lawsuit Against Juul Marketing
A US federal judge allows collective lawsuits against Juul, accusing the company of misleading marketing and demanding compensation for its purchasers.

A federal judge has permitted both adult and underage individuals who have purchased Juul e-cigarettes to file a collective lawsuit, demanding compensation from the company for deceptive marketing practices.

 

On Tuesday, U.S. District Judge William Orrick certified four groups, consisting of adults and minors both nationwide and in California, but rejected arguments made by Juul and its largest shareholder, tobacco giant Altria Group Inc., stating that the potential members of the collective were too diverse to bring a lawsuit for their claims together.

 

These class-action lawsuits do not accuse the product of causing bodily harm, but rather demand a refund of the money spent on purchasing Juul products.

 

The above is part of the multi-district litigation being handled by Orrick, which includes personal injury claims and lawsuits brought by local governments and school districts alleging that Juul fueled an epidemic of youth addiction.

 

Lawyers for plaintiffs Juul and Altria did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

 

The economic loss claims allege that Juul downplayed the addictive nature of its products and, had it not been for deceptive marketing, consumers would not have purchased these products or would have spent less money on them.

 

Juul argues that they should not be classified as a class-action lawsuit because different consumers were exposed to different advertisements, and some individuals became addicted while others did not.

 

However, Orrick believes that these differences are "largely immaterial under the legal theory being asserted.

 

Under pressure from regulators, Juul removed popular flavors such as mango and cucumber from retail stores in 2018 and closed its social media channels on Instagram and Facebook.

 

Earlier this month, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) ordered the removal of all Juul e-cigarettes from the market, but this decision was temporarily halted by the federal appeals court.

 

Juul has agreed to pay over $87 million to settle charges related to its marketing of products to minors with four states.

 

Source: Reuters

 

This document has been generated through artificial intelligence translation and is provided solely for the purposes of industry discourse and learning. Please note that the intellectual property rights of the content belong to the original media source or author. Owing to certain limitations in the translation process, there may be discrepancies between the translated text and the original content. We recommend referring to the original source for complete accuracy. In case of any inaccuracies, we invite you to reach out to us with corrections. If you believe any content has infringed upon your rights, please contact us immediately for its removal.

ELFBAR Resolves Global Dispute Over "ELF" Trademark with VPR Brands LP
ELFBAR Resolves Global Dispute Over "ELF" Trademark with VPR Brands LP
ELFBAR announces global settlement with VPR Brands LP over "ELF" trademark dispute, covering major markets like US, Canada, UK.
Apr.01 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Acting CTP Director Says FDA Cut Premarket Tobacco Application Backlog by About 70% Over the Past Year
Acting CTP Director Says FDA Cut Premarket Tobacco Application Backlog by About 70% Over the Past Year
FDA Center for Tobacco Products Acting Director Bret Koplow said at the American Tobacco and Nicotine Forum that the agency has reduced its premarket tobacco application backlog by about 70% over the past year and eliminated the acceptance queue. He said FDA has reviewed about 27 million applications, but only a small number have been authorized, mainly because most submissions lacked the scientific data needed to demonstrate public health benefits.
Apr.23 by 2FIRSTS.ai
New York’s Lawsuit Against Puff Bar and Other Flavored Vape Companies Survives Key Court Challenge
New York’s Lawsuit Against Puff Bar and Other Flavored Vape Companies Survives Key Court Challenge
According to Law360, a federal judge ruled that makers and distributors of flavored vape brands such as Puff Bar cannot escape New York’s lawsuit seeking to hold them responsible for the youth vaping epidemic. The court found that the state had adequately alleged the companies misrepresented how safe vaping is.
Apr.07 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Product | Dual-Chamber 20ml E-liquid and 35,000 Puffs: JNR ShishaSip 35K Goes on Sale Online in the Spanish and French Markets
Product | Dual-Chamber 20ml E-liquid and 35,000 Puffs: JNR ShishaSip 35K Goes on Sale Online in the Spanish and French Markets
E-cigarette brand JNR has recently launched its new pod-based device, the JNR ShishaSip 35K, on its official website. The product adopts a dual-chamber structure with two built-in 10ml prefilled pods, bringing total e-liquid capacity to 20ml. It is officially claimed to provide about 35,000 puffs and features a 1050mAh battery, a 0.6Ω mesh coil, a display screen, and adjustable airflow. The product is already on sale through online channels in France and Spain at a price of EUR 15.90.
Apr.10 by 2FIRSTS.ai
UK Bill Banning Tobacco Sales to People Born After 2008 Clears Parliament
UK Bill Banning Tobacco Sales to People Born After 2008 Clears Parliament
A UK bill banning the legal sale of tobacco to people born on or after January 1, 2009 has completed its passage through parliament. Under the bill, those born in that group will never be able to be legally sold tobacco anywhere in the UK. The legislation is expected to receive royal assent next week. It also gives ministers powers to strengthen public-place smoking restrictions and restricts branding, promotion and advertising of vape and nicotine products aimed at children.
Apr.22 by 2FIRSTS.ai
FDA Wins Default Entry in Case Against E-Cigarette Distributor, to Seek Permanent Injunction
FDA Wins Default Entry in Case Against E-Cigarette Distributor, to Seek Permanent Injunction
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has made procedural progress in its lawsuit against North Carolina-based e-cigarette distributor Dream Distro LLC and its owner. A federal district judge granted the government’s request for entry of default after the defendants failed to respond to the complaint within 21 days of service. The government will next seek a default judgment, including a permanent injunction.
Apr.09 by 2FIRSTS.ai