Illegal E-Cigarettes Seized in UK Trading Standards Crackdown

Dec.08.2022
Illegal E-Cigarettes Seized in UK Trading Standards Crackdown
Authorities seize over 5,000 illegal e-cigarettes worth £50,000 in a crackdown on non-compliant products, some containing dangerous levels of nicotine.

Officials from the UK Parliament discovered that 19 out of 20 locations they visited were selling "non-compliant" products, resulting in over 5,000 illegal e-cigarettes being seized throughout the area. It is estimated that their retail value would be worth approximately £50,000 (approximately 420,000 RMB).


British police and trade standards officials are cracking down on illegal e-cigarettes as part of efforts to tackle public health issues.


The UK government has implemented regulations for electronic cigarettes to ensure that they meet minimum safety and quality standards. However, many locally obtained e-cigarettes have failed to meet these standards due to containing much higher levels of nicotine than allowed, with some testing up to 10 times the legal limit.


A spokesperson for the Rothesay Council has stated that e-cigarettes are currently the most popular method for quitting smoking in the UK. While e-cigarettes are much less harmful than traditional smoking, young people should not smoke or use e-cigarettes due to the health risks involved.


Cabinet member for adult social care and public health at RMBC, Cllr David Roche, stated that while many people use e-cigarettes as a legitimate way to quit smoking, these specific products could pose a potential risk of becoming more popular among young audiences, leading to more people inhaling more nicotine.


2FIRSTS will continue to provide coverage on this issue, with updates available on the "2FIRSTSAPP". Scan the QR code below to download the app.


This document has been generated through artificial intelligence translation and is provided solely for the purposes of industry discourse and learning. Please note that the intellectual property rights of the content belong to the original media source or author. Owing to certain limitations in the translation process, there may be discrepancies between the translated text and the original content. We recommend referring to the original source for complete accuracy. In case of any inaccuracies, we invite you to reach out to us with corrections. If you believe any content has infringed upon your rights, please contact us immediately for its removal.

Canada Studies UK-Style “Smoke-Free Generation” Tobacco Ban
Canada Studies UK-Style “Smoke-Free Generation” Tobacco Ban
Canada’s federal health minister, Majorie Michel, said she is looking into legislation that would permanently ban the sale of tobacco products to anyone born after 2008. She said Canada has seen the approach recently proposed in the United Kingdom and is reviewing it with partners. Health Canada previously said the Government of Canada has invested C$66 million annually since 2018 to help Canadians quit smoking and reduce the harms of nicotine addiction.
Apr.29 by 2FIRSTS.ai
FDA Wins Default Entry in Case Against E-Cigarette Distributor, to Seek Permanent Injunction
FDA Wins Default Entry in Case Against E-Cigarette Distributor, to Seek Permanent Injunction
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has made procedural progress in its lawsuit against North Carolina-based e-cigarette distributor Dream Distro LLC and its owner. A federal district judge granted the government’s request for entry of default after the defendants failed to respond to the complaint within 21 days of service. The government will next seek a default judgment, including a permanent injunction.
Apr.09 by 2FIRSTS.ai
JTI Korea Introduces Ploom AURA With Four Heating Modes and Four Device Colors
JTI Korea Introduces Ploom AURA With Four Heating Modes and Four Device Colors
JTI Korea announced that its next-generation heated tobacco device Ploom AURA will officially launch in South Korea on April 14. The company held a media event on March 31 at the Fairmont Ambassador Seoul Hotel to unveil the product in Korea for the first time.
Apr.01 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Philippine Customs Seizes Illegal Vape Products Worth Up to PHP 1.4 Billion in Navotas Warehouse
Philippine Customs Seizes Illegal Vape Products Worth Up to PHP 1.4 Billion in Navotas Warehouse
The Philippine Bureau of Customs seized illegal vape products worth an estimated PHP 1 billion to PHP 1.4 billion at a warehouse in Navotas City. Customs Commissioner Ariel Nepomuceno said the operation was the agency’s largest crackdown on illegal vape products since 2024.
Mar.23 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Nicokick and zone Extend NASCAR Collaboration for April 19 Kansas City Race
Nicokick and zone Extend NASCAR Collaboration for April 19 Kansas City Race
Nicokick.com said it will continue its collaboration with zone for a second year at the April 19 NASCAR race in Kansas City, appearing on Richard Childress Racing’s No. 8 Chevrolet driven by Kyle Busch. The 2026 race-weekend campaign for verified adult nicotine consumers aged 21 and older includes the exclusive launch of zone Cranberry and a limited-edition five-flavor mix pack selected by Busch.
Apr.16 by 2FIRSTS.ai
FDA Expands ENDS Market Access With First Authorization of Non-Tobacco and Non-Menthol Products
FDA Expands ENDS Market Access With First Authorization of Non-Tobacco and Non-Menthol Products
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced on May 5, 2026 that it authorized the marketing of four Glas electronic nicotine delivery system (ENDS) products through the premarket tobacco product application (PMTA) pathway. The authorized products are Classic Menthol, Fresh Menthol, Gold and Sapphire pods, each containing 50mg/ml, or 5%, tobacco-derived nicotine.
May.06 by 2FIRSTS.ai