Malaysia's Johor State Reaffirms Stance: Vape Ban Stays, No Sales Permits Issued

Nov.25.2024
Malaysia's Johor State Reaffirms Stance: Vape Ban Stays, No Sales Permits Issued
The Johor state government in Malaysia has decided to maintain its vape ban, in place since 2016, and will not issue permits for vape sales.

According to Berita Harian on November 24th, the Johor state government has decided to continue its ban on e-cigarettes, which has been in place since 2016. They will not issue any sales licenses for e-cigarettes.

 

Johor State Housing and Local Government Chairman Datuk Mohd Jafni Md Shukor stated that the decision has been in effect since 2016 and the 8-year ban includes strict restrictions on e-cigarettes and related products containing nicotine.

 

"Johor continues to enforce the ban on the sale of vapes and electronic cigarettes in the state," he said.

 

On January 1, 2016, at the request of Sultan Ibrahim Iskandar of Johor, the use of e-cigarettes was banned throughout the state and commercial establishments were ordered to cease operations.

 

Meanwhile, the Malaysian Health Minister Datuk Seri Dr Dzulkefly Ahmad stated on November 19 that the federal government will continue to regulate e-cigarette products through the Tobacco Control Act 2024 (Act 852), which came into effect on October 1. 

 

He mentioned that although the federal government has not imposed a nationwide ban on the sale of e-cigarettes, it will be up to individual state governments to decide on policies, including potentially banning the sale of e-cigarettes through local authorities. (Read more: "Malaysia to Implement Gradual Approach to Vape Regulation, Says Health Minister")

 

Last week, Sultan Abdullah Ri'ayatuddin Al-Mustafa Billah Shah of Pahang state in Malaysia proposed a total ban on the use of e-cigarettes. (Read more: "Penang Consumer Group Pushes for Vape Ban Amid Youth Addiction Concerns")

 

We welcome news tips, article submissions, interview requests, or comments on this piece.

Please contact us at info@2firsts.com, or reach out to Alan Zhao, CEO of 2Firsts, on LinkedIn


Notice

1.  This article is intended solely for professional research purposes related to industry, technology, and policy. Any references to brands or products are made purely for objective description and do not constitute any form of endorsement, recommendation, or promotion by 2Firsts.

2.  The use of nicotine-containing products — including, but not limited to, cigarettes, e-cigarettes, nicotine pouchand heated tobacco products — carries significant health risks. Users are responsible for complying with all applicable laws and regulations in their respective jurisdictions.

3.  This article is not intended to serve as the basis for any investment decisions or financial advice. 2Firsts assumes no direct or indirect liability for any inaccuracies or errors in the content.

4.  Access to this article is strictly prohibited for individuals below the legal age in their jurisdiction.

 

Copyright

 

This article is either an original work created by 2Firsts or a reproduction from third-party sources with proper attribution. All copyrights and usage rights belong to 2Firsts or the original content provider. Unauthorized reproduction, distribution, or any other form of unauthorized use by any individual or organization is strictly prohibited. Violators will be held legally accountable.

For copyright-related inquiries, please contact: info@2firsts.com

 

AI Assistance Disclaimer

 

This article may have been enhanced using AI tools to improve translation and editorial efficiency. However, due to technical limitations, inaccuracies may occur. Readers are encouraged to refer to the cited sources for the most accurate information.

We welcome any corrections or feedback. Please contact us at: info@2firsts.com

South Korea’s Seoul Gangnam District Installs “Separated Smoking Booths” , Splitting Cigarettes and Vapes
South Korea’s Seoul Gangnam District Installs “Separated Smoking Booths” , Splitting Cigarettes and Vapes
Seoul's Gangnam district introduces smoking booths on Tehran Road to combat public smoking and secondhand smoke issues.
Jan.23 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Russia dismantles illegal vape liquid plant near Moscow; goods worth about $13 million seized
Russia dismantles illegal vape liquid plant near Moscow; goods worth about $13 million seized
Russian authorities say they have dismantled an illegal vape-liquid production site in the Moscow region, seizing four production lines, large quantities of components and finished goods, and substantial cash. The Interior Ministry estimated the seized products’ value at about 1 billion rubles (≈$13 million) and said the operation ran around the clock, producing up to 75,000 units per shift.
Feb.10 by 2FIRSTS.ai
BREAKING: China Brings Nicotine Pouches Under Tobacco Monopoly Regulation, Signaling Major Shift for Oral Products
BREAKING: China Brings Nicotine Pouches Under Tobacco Monopoly Regulation, Signaling Major Shift for Oral Products
China has for the first time issued clear regulatory rules for nicotine pouches and other oral nicotine products, formally classifying them under the tobacco monopoly alongside cigarettes and tobacco, ending a long-standing legal grey zone and laying the regulatory groundwork for their potential domestic launch.
Jan.09 by Alan Zhao | 2Firsts Perspectives
Guam DOE: Police to respond to all school-campus incidents involving minors and nicotine products
Guam DOE: Police to respond to all school-campus incidents involving minors and nicotine products
According to the Guam Department of Education (GDOE), police officers will now assist in handling incidents involving minor students who vape or use tobacco products on public school campuses, and cases may be forwarded to the Office of the Attorney General.
Jan.15 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Indiana SB 185 Advances: Foreign-Made Vapes Would Be Barred, With Focus on China
Indiana SB 185 Advances: Foreign-Made Vapes Would Be Barred, With Focus on China
Indiana State Sen. Ron Alting is backing Senate Bill 185, which would ban vape shops in Indiana from selling any foreign-made vaping products and restrict retail shelves to U.S.-made items. Alting has framed the proposal as a consumer-safety measure and has singled out China, citing industry reporting that China produces more than 90% of the world’s vape hardware.
Jan.27 by 2FIRSTS.ai
3,200 suspected "drug-laced cigarettes" seized in Johor Bahru, case value estimated at US$242,500
3,200 suspected "drug-laced cigarettes" seized in Johor Bahru, case value estimated at US$242,500
Malaysian police seized 3,200 suspicious e-pods with ketamine liquid, arresting two men in Johor Bahru's drug distribution bust.
Feb.04 by 2FIRSTS.ai