Minnesota's Flavored Tobacco Ban Facing Challenges in Legislature

Regulations by 2FIRSTS.ai
Apr.19.2024
Minnesota's Flavored Tobacco Ban Facing Challenges in Legislature
Minnesota's flavored tobacco ban faces challenges as supporters rally at Capitol, urging lawmakers to prioritize youth health and safety.

According to a report by Valley News Live on April 19th, it is feared that the ban on flavored tobacco in Minnesota may not pass this year.

 

On Thursday (the 18th), students, educators, and parents gathered at the Minnesota State Capitol to express their support for the bill. Supporters argued that flavored tobacco products may attract the attention of children and teenagers, leading them to become addicted to nicotine at a young age.

 

The bill, drafted by state representative Ethan Cha, was put on hold during last month's House Commerce Committee hearing. However, both chambers did not adopt the House version of the bill and instead moved forward with the Senate version, which does not include the ban on flavored tobacco.

 

The lawmaker stated that the only chance for the ban to pass is if it is adopted in a committee meeting between the House of Representatives and the Senate, and called on all supporters to continue putting pressure on the lawmakers.

 

Although the bill may not be implemented this year, lawmakers at the state capitol have clearly stated that they plan to continue their fight against flavored tobacco products, with Cheh and other legislators possibly reintroducing the bill next year.

 

If the bill ultimately passes, Minnesota will become the third state in the United States, following California and Massachusetts, to ban all flavored tobacco products.

 

We welcome news tips, article submissions, interview requests, or comments on this piece.

Please contact us at info@2firsts.com, or reach out to Alan Zhao, CEO of 2Firsts, on LinkedIn


Notice

1.  This article is intended solely for professional research purposes related to industry, technology, and policy. Any references to brands or products are made purely for objective description and do not constitute any form of endorsement, recommendation, or promotion by 2Firsts.

2.  The use of nicotine-containing products — including, but not limited to, cigarettes, e-cigarettes, nicotine pouchand heated tobacco products — carries significant health risks. Users are responsible for complying with all applicable laws and regulations in their respective jurisdictions.

3.  This article is not intended to serve as the basis for any investment decisions or financial advice. 2Firsts assumes no direct or indirect liability for any inaccuracies or errors in the content.

4.  Access to this article is strictly prohibited for individuals below the legal age in their jurisdiction.

 

Copyright

 

This article is either an original work created by 2Firsts or a reproduction from third-party sources with proper attribution. All copyrights and usage rights belong to 2Firsts or the original content provider. Unauthorized reproduction, distribution, or any other form of unauthorized use by any individual or organization is strictly prohibited. Violators will be held legally accountable.

For copyright-related inquiries, please contact: info@2firsts.com

 

AI Assistance Disclaimer

 

This article may have been enhanced using AI tools to improve translation and editorial efficiency. However, due to technical limitations, inaccuracies may occur. Readers are encouraged to refer to the cited sources for the most accurate information.

We welcome any corrections or feedback. Please contact us at: info@2firsts.com

UK Disposable Vape Ban Fallout: Convenience Vape Units Down 20.8%, Retailers Hit by a “Triple Whammy,” Talysis Says
UK Disposable Vape Ban Fallout: Convenience Vape Units Down 20.8%, Retailers Hit by a “Triple Whammy,” Talysis Says
UK convenience insight agency Talysis says vape unit sales in convenience stores have fallen 20.8% and value sales 12.7% nearly eight months after the disposable vape ban took effect.
Jan.28 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Before the Boom:  Why Manufacturing Is Becoming the Deciding Factor in U.S. Nicotine Pouches — An Interview with Rena World
Before the Boom: Why Manufacturing Is Becoming the Deciding Factor in U.S. Nicotine Pouches — An Interview with Rena World
As the U.S. nicotine pouch market moves toward regulatory clarity and rapid growth, attention is shifting from demand to execution. In an interview with 2Firsts, U.S.-based manufacturer Rena explains why manufacturing capacity, quality systems, and compliance readiness are becoming decisive factors before the market fully takes off.
Jan.19
Around 58,000 counterfeit vapes and tobacco seized from UK 's Hampshire streets over the past year
Around 58,000 counterfeit vapes and tobacco seized from UK 's Hampshire streets over the past year
UK's Hampshire Trading Standards says around 58,000 counterfeit vapes and tobacco products have been seized from Hampshire over the last year. Richard Strawson, Hampshire’s Head of Trading Standards, said officers often find vape products disguised under fake branding.
Jan.05 by 2FIRSTS.ai
PMI says it submitted evidence to FDA panel backing ZYN bid for modified-risk status
PMI says it submitted evidence to FDA panel backing ZYN bid for modified-risk status
Philip Morris International said it presented scientific evidence to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s Tobacco Products Scientific Advisory Committee to support its ZYN nicotine pouches seeking a modified risk tobacco product designation, which would allow the company to communicate to adult smokers that switching completely to ZYN could reduce the risk of multiple smoking-related diseases.
Jan.26 by 2FIRSTS.ai
UK vape firm Plxsur sold for £76,500 after touting $1 billion revenue target
UK vape firm Plxsur sold for £76,500 after touting $1 billion revenue target
London-based vaping company Plxsur, which had claimed in fundraising materials it could reach $1 billion in annual revenue and capture about 10% of the global vaping market, has been sold out of administration for £76,500. Administrators said the figures were aspirational and depended on acquisitions that were never completed, as the company later ran out of cash and entered insolvency, with a shareholder ultimately buying the business.
Jan.22 by 2FIRSTS.ai
NJOY and Altria ask federal court to halt ITC proceeding, alleging multiple constitutional defects
NJOY and Altria ask federal court to halt ITC proceeding, alleging multiple constitutional defects
A filing in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia (Richmond Division) shows NJOY and Altria entities submitted a plaintiffs’ reply supporting their motion for summary judgment, arguing the challenged ITC proceeding is unconstitutional on multiple grounds, including ALJ appointment authority, removal protections, and Article III limits under the Jarkesy framework. The plaintiffs seek summary judgment and a permanent injunction barring continuation of the ITC proceeding.
Jan.08 by 2FIRSTS.ai