NSW government seizes $1m of illegal e-cigarette products in 19 weeks

Events
Jun.13.2022

Cancer Council commends ‘zero tolerance’ for unlawful sales

 

Cancer Council NSW has commended the NSW Government’s “zero tolerance” of nicotine e-cigarette sales without a doctor’s prescription, following a major increase in the volume of illegal products seized in 2022 compared with the past two years.

 

Director of Cancer Prevention and Advocacy at Cancer Council NSW, Anita Dessaix, said the surge in illegal product seizures comes only six weeks after Australian National University (ANU) published a landmark study highlighting the extensive harms of e-cigarettes especially to young people.

 

“In the 18 months from July 2020 to the end of last year, $2 million worth of illegal nicotine e-cigarette products was seized – and the government has since seized half as much again in only 19 weeks this year,” Ms Dessaix said.

 

As it stands, the only legal way to access a vape containing nicotine is via a valid doctor’s prescription for those who feel it will aid their quit smoking journey. However, illegal seizure trends are growing exponentially,

 

“We see unlawful e-cigarette use everywhere we look, with young people the main users. Community concern among parents and teachers in particular is rising..

 

“The recently published ANU report showed that the majority of e-cigarette users are young, they are not using e-cigarettes to quit smoking, they are using e-cigarettes with, not instead of, tobacco and those who don’t smoke face a three-fold risk of smoking uptake.

“We congratulate the NSW Government for warning retailers selling e-cigarettes without a valid prescription that they could face fines and even jail for contributing to this crisis.

 

“For the sake of a profit, these merchants are addicting young people to nicotine, they are exposing young people to a three-fold risk of smoking uptake, and they are flouting federal and state laws designed to protect public health.

 

“NSW Government, and its Chief Health Officer, Dr Kerry Chant, have shown great leadership in highlighting the major harms of e-cigarettes and putting the merchants who are contributing to it on notice.”

 

“This is about ensuring that vaping doesn’t undo decades of public health efforts to prevent harm caused by tobacco products”.

BAT Japan rolls out limited-edition “Rose Quartz” colourway for glo Hilo, launches new virto click-capsule flavour
BAT Japan rolls out limited-edition “Rose Quartz” colourway for glo Hilo, launches new virto click-capsule flavour
British American Tobacco (BAT) Japan will introduce its first Valentine’s-season limited-edition colourway, “Rose Quartz,” for the glo Hilo heated tobacco device lineup, covering both the glo Hilo and glo Hilo Plus. The devices are priced at JPY 3,980 (about $25.2) and JPY 6,980 (about $44.1), respectively, and will go on sale via official channels from Feb. 9. BAT Japan will also launch a new glo Hilo-compatible virto tobacco stick variant, “virto Bright Cherry Click,” on Feb. 2.
Jan.20 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Vietnam Ho Chi Minh City police seize 28,657 illegal vape-related products worth over US$182,400
Vietnam Ho Chi Minh City police seize 28,657 illegal vape-related products worth over US$182,400
Police in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam say they dismantled a large illegal vape distribution ring led by 29-year-old Nguyễn Ngọc Quốc Uy, who allegedly built a concealed “secret room” to hide contraband. Officers seized 28,657 items valued at more than VND 4.8 billion (about US$182,400).
Feb.04 by 2FIRSTS.ai
2Firsts Interview | Prague Move Puts Eastern Europe in Focus for Nicotine Industry Event EVO NXT
2Firsts Interview | Prague Move Puts Eastern Europe in Focus for Nicotine Industry Event EVO NXT
EVO NXT will move to Prague in April 2026. As an event’s official media partner for four consecutive years, 2Firsts recently interviewed the organisers, who said the relocation reflects strong growth in Eastern European markets for alternative nicotine products. They described EVO NXT as not a traditional trade fair but a business festival shaped by rapid changes in regulation, markets and technological innovation across the global nicotine industry.
Feb.03
Alabama SB9 advances: Senate committee clears bill to treat vaping like smoking in enclosed public places
Alabama SB9 advances: Senate committee clears bill to treat vaping like smoking in enclosed public places
Alabama’s Senate Bill 9 advanced after clearing the Senate Committee on Healthcare, moving to the full Alabama Senate for consideration. The proposal would update the state’s 2003 Clean Indoor Air Act by including e-cigarettes and other vaping devices under the same restrictions that apply to smoking in most enclosed public places.
Jan.22 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Product | 22ml Combined E-Liquid Supply, Rated for 35,000 Puffs: OXBAR Launches the OX35K Open-System Pod Device
Product | 22ml Combined E-Liquid Supply, Rated for 35,000 Puffs: OXBAR Launches the OX35K Open-System Pod Device
The vaping brand OXBAR has recently listed its open-system, refillable pod device OX35K on its official website. The product features a “2ml built-in pod + two 10ml external refill bottles” e-liquid supply structure and supports top refilling, with a claimed puff count of up to 35,000. It is equipped with a 1000mAh built-in battery and offers dual power modes—BOOST and ECO—positioning the device to balance high-puff performance with an open-system form factor.
Jan.13 by 2FIRSTS.ai
UK vape retailer VPZ to expand manufacturing, open 40 stores in 2026
UK vape retailer VPZ to expand manufacturing, open 40 stores in 2026
UK specialist vape retailer VPZ has launched a multi-million-pound investment programme to boost domestic production capacity and tighten supply-chain controls. The plan includes adding a fifth production line, opening 40 new stores across the UK in 2026 and creating hundreds of jobs, while establishing a bonded warehouse at its Edinburgh headquarters as regulation tightens and a vaping tax is planned.
Feb.02 by 2FIRSTS.ai