San Diego Officially Bans Sale of Flavored Tobacco Products Beginning Jan. 1

Regulations
May.18.2022
San Diego Officially Bans Sale of Flavored Tobacco Products Beginning Jan. 1
San Diego Officially Bans Sale of Flavored Tobacco Products Beginning Jan. 1

The San Diego City Council officially passed an ordinance Tuesday to ban the sale of flavored tobacco products — including menthol — in the city, effective Jan. 1, 2023.

 

The move — spearheaded by Councilwoman Marni von Wilpert — follows similar actions in cities such as Imperial Beach, Encinitas and Solana Beach, along with San Diego County for unincorporated areas. It also comes months before a statewide referendum tackling the issue in November.

 

The council passed the first reading of the issue in April. This second vote makes the ordinance — known as the Stop Adolescent Addiction From E-Cigarettes or SAAFE Act — law.

 

“I thank my colleagues for standing with me to stop Big Tobacco from addicting an entire new generation of youth on tobacco products by officially approving the SAAFE Act,” von Wilpert said. 

 

“Flavored tobacco products are intentionally marketed to kids and I am proud that our city is taking action to prevent the sale of these products and protect our youth.”

 

The ordinance does not apply to the sale of shisha, premium cigars or loose-leaf tobacco and unflavored or tobacco-flavored e-cigarettes, as well as FDA-approved cessation devices that will also be exempt from the ban.

 

Councilwoman Jennifer Campbell said in her 40 years practicing medicine, she had seen the impact on children who lived in homes with smokers.

 

“We must stop Big Tobacco from aggressively targeting our children and vulnerable communities,” she said. “The Stop Adolescent Addiction From E-Cigarettes will help protect our communities from the tobacco industry making life-long customers addicted to nicotine.”

 

According to findings presented in April by von Wilpert’s office, in the most recent completed study of the city’s tobacco retailers in 2019, 14.7% of retailers sold to an underage police decoy. In a study to come, she said, those numbers have increased to nearly 30%.

 

Source:TIMESOFSANDIEGO

In opposition to the law at the lengthy public hearing in April were dozens of small business owners, who claimed flavored tobacco made up anywhere from 25% to nearly half of their business. Nearly all of them claimed they were law-abiding business owners who had been commended by the San Diego Police Department for their above-board operations. Several also decried what they called the paternalistic nature of the city council’s new law, saying parents should be in charge of how children were raised, not the government.

Sesh touts independence, 8VC backing and retail reach as it challenges tobacco-owned pouch brands
Sesh touts independence, 8VC backing and retail reach as it challenges tobacco-owned pouch brands
U.S. nicotine pouch brand Sesh has emphasized its independence from Altria, Philip Morris International and British American Tobacco, along with backing from investors including 8VC, celebrity supporters and a retail footprint of more than 7,500 stores, as it seeks to differentiate itself in a market where major pouch brands are owned by large tobacco companies.
Regulations
Jul.07 by 2Firsts Perspectives
As FDA Reshapes PMTA Reviews and ENDS Enforcement Priorities, CTP Acting Director Bret Koplow to Keynote NATO Event for a Retail Network of 66,000-Plus Stores
As FDA Reshapes PMTA Reviews and ENDS Enforcement Priorities, CTP Acting Director Bret Koplow to Keynote NATO Event for a Retail Network of 66,000-Plus Stores
Bret Koplow, acting director of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration's Center for Tobacco Products, will deliver a keynote and participate in a fireside chat at the National Association of Tobacco Outlets' Sept. 29-30 conference in Washington. His appearance comes months after the FDA moved to accelerate PMTA reviews and introduced a more differentiated enforcement policy for certain unauthorized ENDS and oral nicotine pouch products. The agency also plans a public list identifying manufacturers and products it does not currently intend to prioritize for enforcement under the May guidance. NATO says its membership includes more than 66,000 retail stores, making product-status transparency and enforcement boundaries directly relevant to the retail sector.
Aug.14
Philip Morris Romania Expands IQOS Boutique Network to 120 Locations With Retail 2.0 Store
Philip Morris Romania Expands IQOS Boutique Network to 120 Locations With Retail 2.0 Store
Philip Morris Romania has opened IQOS Boutique Victoriei in Bucharest, expanding the country’s IQOS retail network to 120 points of sale and advancing a Retail 2.0 concept that combines design, technology, interactive art and urban culture.
PMI
Jul.13
Product | Summo 150K Introduces Refillable Design With Up to 150,000 Puffs, Exploring a New High-Capacity Vape Format
Product | Summo 150K Introduces Refillable Design With Up to 150,000 Puffs, Exploring a New High-Capacity Vape Format
Summo has introduced the Summo 150K Refillable Disposable Vape, entering the ultra-high-puff vape segment with a claimed capacity of up to 150,000 puffs. The device combines a 40ml dual e-liquid system, transparent tank design, dual mesh coils and a 900mAh rechargeable battery, using a refillable structure to differentiate itself from conventional disposable vapes. The product appeared on overseas online retail channels including Vapesourcing and VapeBarTime between late June and early July 2026.
Jul.22
Product | IVG Pro 15K Enters European Retail Channels, Expanding High-Capacity Pod System Segment
Product | IVG Pro 15K Enters European Retail Channels, Expanding High-Capacity Pod System Segment
UK vape brand IVG has introduced the IVG Pro 15K, a high-capacity pod system combining a 2ml prefilled pod with a 10ml refill container to deliver up to 15,000 puffs. Unlike conventional high-puff disposable vapes, the IVG Pro 15K adopts a reusable device structure, reflecting a broader shift in the European vape market toward longer-use-cycle products and reusable hardware ecosystems.
Jul.14
Product | IVG Launches NEXiO Prefilled Pod System, Expanding Beyond Disposable Vapes
Product | IVG Launches NEXiO Prefilled Pod System, Expanding Beyond Disposable Vapes
UK vape brand IVG has launched the NEXiO reusable prefilled pod system, expanding its product portfolio beyond disposable vape products. The device features a 1,000mAh rechargeable battery, prefilled pods with a refill reservoir structure and a claimed capacity of up to 10,000 puffs. Officially launched in the UK on July 9, 2026, NEXiO debuted with 17 flavor options, reflecting IVG’s move into reusable pod formats.
Aug.19