The FDA Criticised for not Enforcing The Synthetic Nicotine Ban

Industry InsightRegulations
Jul.18.2022
After being criticised for not enforcing the synthetic nicotine ban, the FDA started sending warnings to non-authorized manufacturers and retailers of the products.

On July 13th the FDA announced that it sent two warning letters to manufacturers marketing non-authorized synthetic nicotine products and over 100 warning letters to retailers selling synthetic nicotine products to minors.

The FDA Criticised for not Enforcing The Synthetic Nicotine Ban

 

Synthetic products, which are often sold in fruity flavors and are popular with teens, have previously been exempt from FDA regulations because they are made from nicotine made in a lab, rather than nicotine extracted from tobacco leaf.

However, following a legislation enacted on March 15th, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has been given the authority to regulate tobacco products containing nicotine from any source. This has led to a ban on synthetic nicotine.

 

After the passing of the synthetic nicotine ban, the Vapor Trade Association (VTA) immediately began working on a strategy to ensure a viable path for companies which are selling the products. Moreover, the VTA’s Board of Directors and members met with the FDA Center for Tobacco Products (CTP) to discuss the ban.

 

The FDA personnel in attendance included over 35 senior leaders, representing seven different offices inside CTP. The VTA held presentations by three Ph.D’s in Organic Chemistry and Physical Analytical Chemistry, in order to frame critical scientific and public policy issues that we believe had not previously been presented to or considered by the FDA.

 

Synthetic nicotine manufacturers had to submit premarket applications by May 14th

 

The March legislation required synthetic nicotine manufacturers to submit premarket applications by May 14, 2022, and any brand which had not submitted these documents would be considered illegal. However, until earlier this week this had never been enforced by the FDA.

 

Naturally this led to the agency being heavily criticised. In a letter, which cited STAT’s reporting on the agency’s lack of action, Senators Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) and Susan Collins (R-Maine), said that the FDA “appears to be on the brink of failing yet again at protecting our nation’s children.”

 

Meanwhile, on July 13th the FDA announced that it sent two warning letters to manufacturers marketing non-authorized synthetic nicotine products and over 100 warning letters to retailers who sold synthetic nicotine products to minors.

 

The content excerpted or reproduced in this article comes from a third-party, and the copyright belongs to the original media and author. If any infringement is found, please contact us to delete it. Any entity or individual wishing to forward the information, please contact the author and refrain from forwarding directly from here.

 

 

Puerto Rico House Files P.C. 1070 to Ban Flavored Vaping Product Sales to Under-21s
Puerto Rico House Files P.C. 1070 to Ban Flavored Vaping Product Sales to Under-21s
According to a statement from the Puerto Rico House of Representatives, House Speaker Carlos Méndez and Rep. Pedro Julio Santiago announced the filing of House Bill 1070 (P.C. 1070), which would prohibit sales to people under 21 of vaping devices, liquids, or cartridges featuring a flavor and/or aroma other than nicotine.
Jan.29 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Malaysian police raids across five states: 51 held and over RM1 million in vapes seized
Malaysian police raids across five states: 51 held and over RM1 million in vapes seized
Police in Malaysia detained 51 individuals and seized over RM1 million worth of electronic cigarettes and liquid refills in a five-state operation dubbed “Op E-CIG,” conducted by the GOF Central Brigade on February 10. The report said the operation involved 30 raids across Kuala Lumpur, Johor, Melaka, Selangor and Negeri Sembilan. Authorities seized 2,263 vape units and 165.463 litres of liquid.
Feb.12 by 2FIRSTS.ai
China’s E-Cigarette Exports Fall Slightly to USD 10.6 Billion in 2025, U.S. Market Further Consolidates Lead
China’s E-Cigarette Exports Fall Slightly to USD 10.6 Billion in 2025, U.S. Market Further Consolidates Lead
China’s e-cigarette exports totaled approximately USD 10.60 billion in 2025, down 3.3% year-on-year from USD 10.96 billion in 2024, according to annual trade data released by the General Administration of Customs of China. Despite the mild decline, exports remained firmly above the USD 10 billion mark, with a clear rebound in the fourth quarter.
Jan.20 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Arizona e-cigarette shops ordered to pay $460,000 for selling tobacco and nicotine products to minors
Arizona e-cigarette shops ordered to pay $460,000 for selling tobacco and nicotine products to minors
Arizona Attorney General Kris Mayes announced Pro Source Supply LLC, Pro Source Vapes LLC, Pro Source CBD LLC, and owner Timothy Kell must pay $460,000 in restitution tied to a lawsuit filed last year alleging illegal sales of tobacco and nicotine products to underage buyers.
Jan.07 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Philippine FDA Requires Licenses for Vape Products with Medical Claims
Philippine FDA Requires Licenses for Vape Products with Medical Claims
The Philippine Food and Drug Administration has announced that establishments selling vaporized nicotine and non-nicotine products and novel tobacco products with medicinal or therapeutic claims must secure Licenses to Operate. Such products are also required to be registered as pharmaceutical products through the Center for Drug Regulation and Research. The FDA urged stakeholders to comply with the new requirements to ensure product safety, efficacy and quality.
Dec.22 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Five Inner West Sydney shops shut for 90 days after 780,000 illicit cigarettes and 2,200 illegal vapes seized
Five Inner West Sydney shops shut for 90 days after 780,000 illicit cigarettes and 2,200 illegal vapes seized
NSW Health has shut down five Inner West Sydney stores for 90 days after a major seizure of illicit cigarettes and illegal vapes, with two additional premises in Northern NSW also served closure notices. The action forms part of a broader crackdown that has seen 66 stores closed since new laws took effect in late 2025, with NSW Health warning further enforcement — including prosecution — may follow.
Feb.09 by 2FIRSTS.ai