Experts Warn Parents of Children's E-Cigarette Use Risk

Aug.16.2022
Experts Warn Parents of Children's E-Cigarette Use Risk
Health experts warn parents of increased risk of nicotine addiction and health problems from children's e-cigarette use.

GREENSBORO, NORTH CAROLINA - As the school year approaches, health experts are warning parents to be mindful of their children's use of electronic cigarettes and the risks of addiction. Alyssa Dittner, a complex disease navigator and COPD project coordinator at Novant Health, states that one in five high school students are addicted to nicotine, which increases their likelihood of becoming smokers in the future by four times.


Juul pods contain a highly concentrated nicotine solution of 5%, equivalent to the amount of nicotine found in approximately 20 cigarettes," said Dittner. "The nicotine content in e-cigarette pens is even higher, and people consume more of it, thereby putting themselves at a higher risk of developing lung cancer, heart disease, and stroke.


According to Dittner, approximately 35% of parents are unaware that their children are using e-cigarettes. She suggests that parents educate themselves about e-cigarette products before discussing the dangers with their children. Supporting instead of blaming their children is crucial. Simply opening up the conversation and informing them of the risks is essential, as many people believe that e-cigarettes are safe and merely produce water vapor, when in reality they contain many chemicals and heavy metals.


Declaration


This article is compiled from third-party information and is intended for industry communication and learning purposes only.


This article does not represent the viewpoint of 2FIRSTS, and 2FIRSTS is unable to confirm the truthfulness and accuracy of its contents. The translation of this article is for industry exchange and research purposes only.


As the level of translation is limited, the translated article may not accurately reflect the original text. We advise readers to refer to the original article for accuracy.


2FIRSTS is completely aligned with the Chinese government on any domestic, Hong Kong, Macao, Taiwan, and foreign-related statements and positions.


The copyright of compiled information belongs to the original media and author. If there is any infringement, please contact us for removal.


This document has been generated through artificial intelligence translation and is provided solely for the purposes of industry discourse and learning. Please note that the intellectual property rights of the content belong to the original media source or author. Owing to certain limitations in the translation process, there may be discrepancies between the translated text and the original content. We recommend referring to the original source for complete accuracy. In case of any inaccuracies, we invite you to reach out to us with corrections. If you believe any content has infringed upon your rights, please contact us immediately for its removal.

Philippine Anti-Smoking Groups Urge DTI Action Over Alleged Vape Law Violations by ZYN and IQOS
Philippine Anti-Smoking Groups Urge DTI Action Over Alleged Vape Law Violations by ZYN and IQOS
Several anti-smoking and health advocacy groups in the Philippines urged the Department of Trade and Industry to take action against tobacco companies accused of violating the Vape Regulation Act of 2022. The groups said three consecutive complaints had been filed involving nicotine pouch brand ZYN and heated tobacco product company IQOS Philippines.
Apr.27 by 2FIRSTS.ai
OLAF and Customs Authorities From 30 Countries Seize More Than 94 Million Illicit Vape and Heated Tobacco Items
OLAF and Customs Authorities From 30 Countries Seize More Than 94 Million Illicit Vape and Heated Tobacco Items
The European Anti-Fraud Office said on April 17 that its “JCO VAPE” operation, carried out together with customs authorities from 30 countries, successfully targeted the illicit trade in e-cigarettes and heated tobacco products. The operation, conducted from November 14 to December 15, 2025, resulted in seizures of more than 94 million items and more than 2,500 kg/l of tobacco products, e-cigarettes, devices, and related goods.
Apr.20 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Brazilian Research Institutions Prepare Joint Recommendations on Electronic Smoking Device Studies
Brazilian Research Institutions Prepare Joint Recommendations on Electronic Smoking Device Studies
Brazil’s National Cancer Institute, the Oswaldo Cruz Foundation, and other research institutions are preparing a joint letter with recommendations and guidance for studies on electronic smoking devices, including e-cigarettes, vapes, and similar products. The guidelines were discussed on April 14 and 15 at the seminar “Building a Priority Research Agenda on Electronic Smoking Devices for Brazil” in Rio de Janeiro.
Apr.16 by 2FIRSTS.ai
FDA Defines Enforcement Focus for Unauthorized E-Cigarettes and Nicotine Pouches
FDA Defines Enforcement Focus for Unauthorized E-Cigarettes and Nicotine Pouches
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued guidance on May 8, 2026, titled “Enforcement Priorities for Certain New Tobacco Products Marketed Without Premarket Authorization.” The document describes FDA enforcement policies for certain electronic nicotine delivery system products and nicotine pouch products marketed without premarket authorization.
May.09 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Glas Says FDA Scientific Review Backed Several Flavored Products Before Senior Leaders Blocked Them
Glas Says FDA Scientific Review Backed Several Flavored Products Before Senior Leaders Blocked Them
Glas says newly released internal FDA records show agency scientific reviewers supported authorization for several flavored G2 products before senior leadership halted them. According to documents obtained through a Freedom of Information Act request, FDA’s Office of Science first recommended marketing authorization for all eight products in December 2025 and later supported six of them in February 2026. FDA ultimately authorized only the G2 device and one tobacco-flavored pod in March.
Apr.23 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Canadian Border Officers Seize Contraband Worth CAD 4.5 Million at Point Edward Crossing
Canadian Border Officers Seize Contraband Worth CAD 4.5 Million at Point Edward Crossing
The Canada Border Services Agency said border officers at the Point Edward port of entry in Sarnia, Ontario, seized more than CAD 4.5 million worth of illegal tobacco and nicotine vapes over a seven-day period. The agency said the contraband was entering Canada from the United States and described the seizure as part of ongoing efforts to prevent illegal products from entering the country and disrupt organized crime.
Mar.26 by 2FIRSTS.ai