Tanzania Plans to Ban Shisha and E-Cigarettes.

Jun.25.2023
Tanzania Plans to Ban Shisha and E-Cigarettes.
Tanzania's Zanzibar plans to ban the import and consumption of shisha and e-cigarettes, posing a potential loss in revenue.

According to the Citizen newspaper in Tanzania, authorities in Zanzibar are planning to prohibit the import and consumption of shisha and e-cigarettes. However, shisha is very popular in tourist destinations and restaurants, and the ban could result in significant revenue losses.


The Minister of the Office of the President, Regional Management Agencies, and Local Government Departments in Zanzibar, Masoud Ali Mohammed, announced in a public statement that the government will soon issue a special directive.


The consumption of hookah and e-cigarettes has become commonplace, and we will be implementing specific regulations to govern those individuals who have obtained special import and sales permits for hookah or e-cigarettes.


This ban will also affect current importers, who are advised not to make any further purchases and instead to contact the authorities for new instructions.


The minister stated that importers will be required to cease ordering additional products once existing inventory is depleted, in compliance with a new law that the government is soon to enact.


According to a hotel operator in Zanzibar, shisha is very popular in tourist resorts and restaurants, and a ban could result in significant revenue loss.


This is not Tanzania's first implementation of a ban. Paul Makonda, the administrative commissioner of Dar es Salaam, previously issued a ban on hookah smoking throughout the city.


As of April 2021, around 500 shisha containers were still stranded at the port of Dar es Salaam. However, the ban was later lifted and now shisha has made a comeback in most bars in Tanzania.


Reference: [1] Zanzibar plans to prohibit the use of Shisha and E-cigarettes.


This document has been generated through artificial intelligence translation and is provided solely for the purposes of industry discourse and learning. Please note that the intellectual property rights of the content belong to the original media source or author. Owing to certain limitations in the translation process, there may be discrepancies between the translated text and the original content. We recommend referring to the original source for complete accuracy. In case of any inaccuracies, we invite you to reach out to us with corrections. If you believe any content has infringed upon your rights, please contact us immediately for its removal.

FDA Expands ENDS Market Access With First Authorization of Non-Tobacco and Non-Menthol Products
FDA Expands ENDS Market Access With First Authorization of Non-Tobacco and Non-Menthol Products
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced on May 5, 2026 that it authorized the marketing of four Glas electronic nicotine delivery system (ENDS) products through the premarket tobacco product application (PMTA) pathway. The authorized products are Classic Menthol, Fresh Menthol, Gold and Sapphire pods, each containing 50mg/ml, or 5%, tobacco-derived nicotine.
May.06 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Mexico’s Coahuila State Passes Vape Ban Covering Non-Nicotine Devices and Heated Tobacco Products
Mexico’s Coahuila State Passes Vape Ban Covering Non-Nicotine Devices and Heated Tobacco Products
The Congress of Coahuila in Mexico has approved a ban on the sale, use and promotion of vapes and similar devices, citing their harmful effects on health and the environment.
Mar.31 by 2FIRSTS.ai
FDA Says It Will Not Take Enforcement Action Against Zone Nicotine Pouches Until Lawsuit Is Resolved
FDA Says It Will Not Take Enforcement Action Against Zone Nicotine Pouches Until Lawsuit Is Resolved
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has told vape manufacturer Fontem US that it does not presently intend to take enforcement action against the company’s Zone nicotine pouches while litigation over the agency’s handling of the application remains unresolved.
Apr.07 by 2FIRSTS.ai
 RFK Jr. Spokesman Resigns Over FDA Authorization of Fruit-Flavored Vapes
RFK Jr. Spokesman Resigns Over FDA Authorization of Fruit-Flavored Vapes
Richard Danker, a senior public affairs official in Health Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr.’s team, resigned from his role at HHS over the FDA’s recent authorization of fruit-flavored vaping products. In a resignation letter addressed to President Donald Trump, Danker argued that the products could expose minors to nicotine addiction, lung damage, and increased cancer risks, while also conflicting with recent HHS guidance on youth risks associated with flavored nicotine products.
News
May.15
Nicokick and zone Extend NASCAR Collaboration for April 19 Kansas City Race
Nicokick and zone Extend NASCAR Collaboration for April 19 Kansas City Race
Nicokick.com said it will continue its collaboration with zone for a second year at the April 19 NASCAR race in Kansas City, appearing on Richard Childress Racing’s No. 8 Chevrolet driven by Kyle Busch. The 2026 race-weekend campaign for verified adult nicotine consumers aged 21 and older includes the exclusive launch of zone Cranberry and a limited-edition five-flavor mix pack selected by Busch.
Apr.16 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Can hookah go institutional? A hookah company seeking to go public makes its case with capital, technology and regulation
Can hookah go institutional? A hookah company seeking to go public makes its case with capital, technology and regulation
2Firsts explored whether hookah can evolve into a more mature and governable category by interviewing Dubai-based hookah company AIR. AIR argues that strong margins, OOKA’s closed-system model and the prospect of differentiated regulation could support that shift. The larger question is whether this is simply AIR’s capital-markets narrative, or an early sign that competition, regulation and category boundaries in hookah are beginning to change.
Apr.02