NSW Increases Penalties and Enforcement for Illegal Vape Supply

Nov.19.2024
NSW Increases Penalties and Enforcement for Illegal Vape Supply
The New South Wales Government in Australia has introduced tougher penalties and enforcement measures for illegal vape supply, increasing fines to A$1.54 million and prison terms to seven years.

On November 19, the New South Wales (NSW) Government announced plans to raise the maximum fine for illegal vape supply from A$1,650 to approximately A$1.54 million, with prison sentences increasing from six months to seven years.

 

The NSW Government has introduced the legislation in Parliament, aiming to align state enforcement powers with those of federal agencies. Possession of a commercial quantity of vaping products or retailer possession of vapes will also be classified as illegal.

 

Similar to the Commonwealth vaping reforms, these measures target suppliers of vape products rather than individual users. Over the past year, more than 300,000 vape products have been seized by the government.

 

Between July 1 and September 30, 2024, a total of 362 inspections were conducted, resulting in the seizure of 42,000 products. In comparison, 153,000 products were confiscated from 290 inspections last year. The recent decrease in seizures during the last quarter may reflect market supply disruptions following the implementation of new Commonwealth vaping laws.

 

In October, the NSW Government announced plans to recruit 14 additional enforcement officers to enhance compliance efforts for vaping and tobacco products statewide. 

 

Additionally, they also launched the eCigarette Compliance Program, initially aimed at supporting pharmacists. A dedicated team of compliance officers will visit pharmacies across the state to provide on-site education and guidance.

 

"The prevalence of illegal vaping devices in our community, and in particular among our young people, is deeply concerning. We have a once-in-a-generation opportunity to the stem the tide of this public health challenge," said Ryan Park, the state Minister for Health, 

 

"I am very encouraged by the progress we are making in terms of removing these harmful devices from our streets. And I am pleased to announce that we are augmenting our efforts by introducing harsher penalties to target suppliers."

 

 

Russian Public Group Seeks Website Restrictions on Remote Vape and Nicotine Sales
Russian Public Group Seeks Website Restrictions on Remote Vape and Nicotine Sales
Russian public movement “Healthy Fatherland,” has proposed blocking access in Russia to online resources that sell vapes and nicotine-containing products remotely.
Apr.15 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Imperial Brands Expects Low-Single-Digit Tobacco and NGP Net Revenue Growth in H1
Imperial Brands Expects Low-Single-Digit Tobacco and NGP Net Revenue Growth in H1
Imperial Brands released a trading update on April 14, reiterating its FY26 guidance and saying its 2030 transformation has started positively. The company said it still expects low-single-digit tobacco net revenue growth, double-digit NGP net revenue growth, 3.00% to 5.00% growth in Group adjusted operating profit, at least high-single-digit earnings per share growth, and at least GBP 2.2 billion in free cash flow for the full year.
Apr.14 by 2FIRSTS.ai
FDA and NIH Release New Wave 8 Restricted-Use PATH Study Data Files
FDA and NIH Release New Wave 8 Restricted-Use PATH Study Data Files
FDA’s Center for Tobacco Products and NIH’s National Institute on Drug Abuse announced that new Wave 8 restricted-use data files from the PATH Study are now available. The files contain data collected between January 2024 and December 2024, including questionnaire data, location characteristics data, and state identifier data.
Apr.17 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Philip Morris Says Its Smoke-Free Transition in Spain Now Has Economic Impact Above EUR 3.3 Billion
Philip Morris Says Its Smoke-Free Transition in Spain Now Has Economic Impact Above EUR 3.3 Billion
Philip Morris said it is accelerating its transition toward smoke-free products in Spain and claimed that the related economic impact now exceeds EUR 3.3 billion. Philip Morris also said that more than 90% of nicotine consumption in Spain still comes from conventional cigarettes, leaving room for growth in smoke-free categories, while regulation and taxation remain major obstacles in its view.
Apr.21 by 2FIRSTS.ai
Seoul to Fine Use of Liquid E-Cigarettes in No-Smoking Areas From April 24
Seoul to Fine Use of Liquid E-Cigarettes in No-Smoking Areas From April 24
Seoul will begin fining the use of all tobacco products, including liquid e-cigarettes, in no-smoking areas from April 24, when the revised Tobacco Business Act takes effect.
Apr.09 by 2FIRSTS.ai
From myblu to Zone: Imperial Brands Refocuses NGP Strategy in HY26
From myblu to Zone: Imperial Brands Refocuses NGP Strategy in HY26
mperial Brands’ HY26 results point to a more selective NGP transition. The company is using cash flow from traditional tobacco to fund targeted investments in modern oral nicotine, heated tobacco and reusable vaping systems. Its decision to exit the legacy myblu vaping business in the U.S., while expanding Zone nicotine pouches. In Europe, Imperial’s NGP growth is being driven by a multi-category portfolio including blu, Pulze and Zone/Skruf.
Special Report
May.12